|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||May 30, 2017|
|Min. Years Experience Required||3|
Sr Ops Geologist-00017139
Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY) is an international oil and gas exploration and production company, and its Oxy Midstream and Marketing subsidiary gathers, processes, transports, stores, purchases and markets oil, condensate, natural gas liquids, natural gas, carbon dioxide and power. We are one of the largest U.S. oil and gas companies, based on equity market capitalization, with more than 40,000 employees and contractors worldwide.
Our greatest asset has been and will continue to be our people. We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Geosteering Geologist based in Houston, Texas.
The Geosteering Geologist will report to the Reservoir Management Team Leader and Operations Technical Assurance Manager and provide operational technical support to horizontal well planning, drilling, geosteering, end-of-well analysis, and reporting within the assigned areas of operations.
The Geosteering Geologist’s responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Draft and update geologic prognoses for all approved drilling wells within assigned areas
- Coordinate well permitting and drilling location preparation in cooperation with land, regulatory, drilling and facilities groups
- Provide technical support and quality oversight for wellsite geology processes, including mudlogging, LWD/MWD, wireline logging, coring and directional drilling in a multi-rig environment
- Geosteer horizontal wells in a 24/7 operation to ensure proper placement of wellbore within a specific target
- Perform real-time monitoring and interpretation of data acquired while drilling
- Provide expertise for planning, execution and look-back analysis for all wells drilled in the business unit, including but not limited to horizontal wells
- Maintain open communication with project geologist, project petrophysicist and drilling team during horizontal drilling operations following chain of command
- Maintain a daily reporting system for well operations and data gathering
- Operate and enforce safety practices within the operation complying with company policies, state and federal regulations
- Work effectively with a variety of individuals from numerous disciplines
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in Geoscience or related discipline.
- Minimum of 3 years applicable experience in the Geoscience field.
- Field experience with horizontal drilling, LWD/MWD and wireline logging technologies and applications
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of structural geology, stratigraphy and geologic support of drilling operations
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in the use of PC and technical computer applications
- Must be able to compile, analyze and assemble data for reports and presentations
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks and meet short-term deadlines
- Willing to support a 24/7 operational schedule; some field travel required
- Ability to design alternate plans and methodologies when required
- Ability to interact effectively with other professionals in an integrated multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural team environment
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Previous geosteering experience
- Field wireline logging or mudlogging experience
- Experience with Boresight or comparable geosteering software applications