|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||August 8, 2016|
Nexen is responsibly developing energy resources in some of the world’s most significant basins including the UK North Sea, Western Canada, the United States and offshore West Africa. As a wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen has three principal businesses: conventional oil and gas, oil sands, and shale gas.
At Nexen, our culture of accountability is key to delivering superior results. Underpinning this culture is a set of beliefs that drive company-wide behaviours around safety, collaboration, innovation and striving to exceed expectations every day. If you share these values, we want you to join our team.
With a robust portfolio of assets, we need high-performing employees who strive for continuous improvement and the chance to share in our future success. Your valued contributions are rewarded with a competitive compensation and benefits package including training that will open doors to your future.
The newly formed International Developments group is part of the Global Exploration and International Development (GEAID) organization and responsible for the development aspects of our international properties outside the US GoM and the UK. The current main focus of the group is on our off-shore / deep-water properties in Guyana and Nigeria and ensuring we are set up for success with non-operated and operated assets.
This role will be responsible for providing high-end geological support within our subsurface work program working closely with the Asset Development managers, appraisal teams and other functional groups. The role reports to one of the two Asset Managers in International Developments.
A key focus within GEAID is Safety. As a senior member of the team, a commitment to being a role model for safety is expected. The safety of both people and projects take a top priority and should be led by example through all levels of management. This will be facilitated by placing high importance on safety and regulatory compliance in all GEAID activities.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Candidates must have experience working on offshore developments with a preference for deepwater developments. The candidate will be responsible for providing the geophysical interpretations used in the subsurface analysis of our development projects to enable the group to produce top quality subsurface technical work focused on the development issues facing the project(s) associated with our deepwater development program. He / She will have the ability to excel in the following responsibilities:
His / Her background should have experiences that enable them to:
- Maintain a focus on HSE performance though this development process by being aware of the HSE impact of the various development decisions made;
- Be recognized for skills in the field of deepwater geological conceptual and reservoir modeling;
- Through the quality of work produced and a high level of interpersonal skills become recognized as an integral part of the team by our asset partners earning a ‘seat at the table’;
- Work with the Development Excellence and GE-Technical Assurance teams to conduct technical reviews;
- Deliver fit for purpose, timely geological interpretations for use in reservoir models;
- Build effective relationships with colleagues within the Developments group, the wider GEAID organization, Nexen and CNOOC HQ;
- Spread learnings, expertise and best practices from your work to other parts of the organization within GEAID / Nexen and become recognized your excellence in International Developments;
- Participate as a technical or stage gate reviewer as appropriate.
His / Her personal or leadership style should enable them to:
- Be outstanding team work and communications skills.
- Demonstrate a proven track record of excelling in the 8 Nexen cultural beliefs and continuous improvement that leads to OE2 results.
- Challenge openly but constructively in a way that resolves difficult issues.
- Be an independent critical thinking and creative problem solver.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and have the ability to navigate uncertainty.
- Be highly organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to keep multiple projects and client engagements active at once.
Education & Experience
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in geosciences with strong preference for Masters level qualification in Geophysics;
- Significant experience in the geological modeling process used in the reservoir models for deepwater developments;
- Good understanding of the commercial and organizational environment.