|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||August 8, 2016|
|Min. Years Experience Required||10|
At Nexen, our culture of accountability is key to delivering superior results. Underpinning this culture is a set of beliefs that drive company-wide behaviours around safety, collaboration, innovation and striving to exceed expectations every day. If you share these values, we want you to join our team.
With a robust portfolio of assets, we need high-performing employees who strive for continuous improvement and the chance to share in our future success. Your valued contributions are rewarded with a competitive compensation and benefits package including training that will open doors to your future.
Nexen is currently actively exploring in the Stobroek Block offshore Guyana, the Flemish Pass on the East Coast Canada, the Porcupine and Goban Spur basins offshore Ireland, offshore Nigeria, and US Gulf of Mexico. Most of the leads and prospects in these basins are either amplitude supported traps that require quantitative interpretation (QI Geophysics) work, or in a structurally complex area where imaging plays a critical role in de-risking. To support these activities, Nexen plans to hire a senior geophysics advisor with expertise in seismic data processing and QI geophysics.
This Senior Geophysical Advisor will be placed in the Global Geophysics Technical Excellence team in Houston that supports all Nexen’s global exploration project teams, distributed in Nexen’s offices in Calgary, London, and Houston. He/she will also need to interact with geophysicists in CNOOC’s Research Institute in Beijing.
A key focus within Nexen is safety. As a senior member of the team, a commitment to being a role model for safety is expected. The safety of both people and projects take a top priority and should be led by example through all levels of management. This will be facilitated by placing high importance on safety and regulatory compliance in all Nexen activities.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
The candidate will be responsible for providing seismic data processing QC and QI geophysics services to all Nexen global exploration project teams. His / her duties include both project management and hands on project work.
- Be recognized as a technical expert in seismic data processing, rock physics, and seismic inversion;
- Closely interact with the exploration project teams. Understand project teams’ needs and challenges. Customize seismic data processing and QI geophysics workflows that optimize the use of available data and time;
- Maintain high technical standards at every step in geophysics. Perform rigorous QC on all intermediate and final products;
- Communicate well with members of the exploration project teams, fellow team members, and management;
- Hands-on ability to carry out seismic data processing, rock physics, and seismic inversion using commercial software such as OpenCPS, RokDoc, and Hampson-Russell Strata;
- Mentor early career geophysicists;
- Maintain a focus on HSE performance.
Education & Experience
- Minimum: MS in Geophysics, PhD in Geophysics preferred;
- Minimum of 15 years industry experience, major oil company experience preferred;
- Minimum of 10 years of experience on seismic data processing and QI geophysics;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience on seismic interpretation and prospect maturation.
- Become recognized for his / her communication and collaboration skills by those he / she interact with in our different offices and organizations;
- Challenge openly but constructively in a way that resolves difficult issues;
- Comfortable with ambiguity and have the ability to navigate uncertainty.