|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||May 11, 2017|
|Min. Years Experience Required||5|
At BHP Billiton we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the role:
A highly motivated geologist is needed to support our operated Eagle Ford and Hawkville fields in North American Shale Technical Services. The Geologist Specialist III will be an experienced, proven professional, responsible for completing complex subsurface assignments, integrating subsurface datasets to conduct subsurface assessments, construct maps, cross sections, and other interpretive products to fully characterize the company's unconventional resource opportunities in our Eagle Ford asset. The Field Studies team is tasked with evaluating static and dynamic data to identify production enhancement opportunities that optimize the full field development plan. The Geologist Specialist III will routinely complete work independently whilst working in a multidisciplinary team environment and with the Field Development team to deliver successful results to the Production Unit. The incumbent will also be responsible for providing technical mentoring and coaching of less experienced geoscientists.
This role is a grade 10 role.
In this role you will:
- Have the unique opportunity to support the planning, execution, evaluation of multiple field trials to test alternative horizons, the appraisal of peripheral acreage, well spacing and lateral staggering, frac hit mitigation, completion optimization and other factors influencing well performance.
- Interpret and evaluate subsurface geological/geophysical/well data at a detailed field scale, integrating multiple datasets including production data, to construct integrated maps, cross sections, and other geophysical/geological displays to further the team’s understanding of the field and identify additional opportunities.
- Provide geological inputs and documentation in support of drilling and evaluation programs.
- Work closely with geologists, geophysicists, petrophysicists, subsurface engineering, Function specialists, drilling and completions engineers to integrate subsurface data and build/update full field geologic models to optimize development and surveillance strategies and evaluate field trials.
- Undertake Volume-Risk-Value (VRV) studies of alternate horizons. This work to include an assessment (in conjunction with Reservoir Engineering and the Petroleum Reserves Group) of Reserves and Resources in these horizons.
- Work and influence with our Joint Venture partner in the Blackhawk field.
- The successful candidate is expected to develop a solid understanding of well economics, field financials and Field development planning in addition to characterizing/evaluating full field reserves and resources.
- Meets all project schedules, deliverables, and subsurface milestones as outlined in subsurface work plans
- Work with the continuous improvement mindset to identify and capture any opportunities to apply new or improved geoscience technologies within the team.
- Coach and mentor early career geoscientists in the team.
BEHAVIORAL & LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
- Possesses an overriding commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility, and sustainable development
- Acts with a personal sense of urgency to achieve high quality results within set time frames
- Clearly communicates BHP Billiton's technical position to cross functional stakeholders and management with well-crafted and documented technical presentations/ interpretations
- Applies knowledge and experience to solve complex issues and make sound decisions; remains flexible and applies good judgment when faced with ambiguity and uncertainty
- Contributes ideas and proactively shares information in a collaborative team environment
- Solicits and quickly acts on received feedback, while providing constructive feedback to others
- Consistently strives for and maintains high standards of integrity; treats everyone fairly and with respect
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in the upstream petroleum industry
- Experience working unconventional development projects and/or producing assets is preferred but not required
- Familiarity with both deterministic and probabilistic methods of assessing in-place hydrocarbon resources and risk and uncertainty
- Experience integrating subsurface and production datasets to drive continuous improvement.
- Experience working with cross functional stakeholders and multidisciplinary teams.
- Familiarity with Schlumberger’s Petrel and Studio tools and Spotfire an advantage
- Familiarity interpreting seismic datasets.
- Experience working unconventional development projects and/or producing assets is beneficial but not essential.
- Committed to supporting improvements in health and safety performance.
- Master's Degree or higher in relevant geoscience discipline.
Supporting a diverse workforce
At BHP Billiton, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people.
We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options; a generous paid parental leave policy; other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the advertised close date.
We support flexible work at BHP Billiton. Talk to us about the flexible working options in this team
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
FEMALES, MINORITIES, VETERANS, DISABLED AND OTHER PROTECTED GROUPS