|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||July 17, 2017|
At BHP Billiton we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About this role: The Specialist Geologist II on the North America Shale Field Development Team will be a motivated, innovative professional, responsible for adhering to best practice, optimized development planning and wellbore execution across BHPBillitons’ unconventional assets. The Specialist Geologist II will be capable of completing high quality work both independently, and as part of multidisciplinary teams.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Lead and support field development planning activities that optimize the companies’ acreage position and maximize value from production
- Remotely support actively drilling wells via subsurface characterization, geo-steering interpretations and clear communications with representatives from drilling, land and reservoir engineering
- Interpret, evaluate and integrate subsurface datasets in order to construct/update maps and cross sections
- Provide inputs required to develop and maintain Basis of Well Design standards across North American Shale
- Provide geoscience inputs and support of multidisciplinary surveillance work, technical projects, and investment decisions
- Focus on continuous improvement through the identification, tracking and reporting of key well performance metrics
- Meet all project schedules, deliverables, and subsurface milestones as outlined in subsurface work plans
- Collaborate with Geoscience Function, and Central Engineering on all geological/subsurface related matters
- Assist with the onboarding and development of graduate team members
Experience and Qualifications:
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience in the upstream petroleum industry
- Master's Degree or higher in relevant geoscience discipline
- A commitment to supporting improvements in health and safety performance
- Experience required working with the integration and analysis of various forms of geologic data
- Experience required working with cross functional stakeholders and multidisciplinary teams
- Experience integrating subsurface and production datasets to identify trends preferred
- Experience using Petrel and Studio software packages preferred
- Familiarity interpreting seismic datasets preferred
- Familiarity with wellsite operations preferred
- Experience working unconventional development projects and/or producing assets preferred
- This role is ideal for early career candidates looking to add Production Geoscience experience to their skillsets, providing the opportunity to be part of the full inventory lifecycle from well planning to execution and production surveillance.
Supporting a diverse workforce
At BHP , we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people.
We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options; a generous paid parental leave policy; other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the advertised close date.
We support flexible work at . Talk to us about the flexible working options in this team