|Date Posted||December 13, 2016|
|Min. Years Experience Required||8|
We’re a Canadian oil company committed to being a responsible developer of one of Canada’s most valuable resources – the oil sands. We apply fresh, progressive thinking to minimize our impact on the environment while safely producing energy resources the world needs. And we take great pride in what we do and in how we do it. We’re focused on the growth of our vast oil sands assets in northern Alberta, where we drill for oil and use specialized methods to pump it to the surface. We also have established conventional natural gas and oil production in Alberta and Saskatchewan and 50 percent ownership in two U.S. refineries.
About this Opportunity:
Cenovus is currently looking for a Senior Reservoir Simulation Engineer. Reporting to the Lead of the Reservoir Engineering Centre of Excellence your primary responsibility will be to provide expert proficiency towards enhancing all Cenovus thermal reservoir engineering simulation activities. This position will materially increase shareholder value by providing tools and support to, as well as directly contributing to, subsurface optimization that will lower both capital expenditures and operating costs for both existing and future greenfield operations. The Simulation Reservoir Engineer also uses in-depth knowledge of recovery technology and simulation tools to bring forward new opportunities for low cost bitumen recovery schemes.
The incumbent will have a very clear understanding of reservoir engineering fundamentals and thermodynamics, subsurface operations, related technologies, and their impact on Cenovus’ bottom line.
This is a full time employee position based in our Calgary offices.
Generate and maintain template simulation files for use by other thermal engineers
- Maintain up to date user guide; convert STARS template files into Cenvous internal simulator files to provide flexibility for end users
- Co-ordinate Reservoir Characterization lab activity in conjunction with Staff Chemist
- Includes glass-bead rel perm testing, PVT of bitumen with methane and alkanes, etc.
- Provide simulation support, guidance, and mentorship to junior thermal engineers
- Help run monthly simulation workshops
- Provide advice for troubleshooting and speeding up runs (while maintaining material balance and other measures of simulation validity)
- Generate and maintain Best Practices associated with thermal reservoir modelling
- Use of Analogs; History Matching; Forecasting; incorporation of Earth Models
- Foster a spirit of innovation within the RE COE; work with COE peers to generate outside the box solutions in both optimizing SAGD and unlocking bitumen reservoirs in general
- Work with RE COE peers to build and maintain interfaces between geoscientists and RE’s, and between RE’s and well delivery / production systems engineers
- May be required to execute tasks and responsibilities not listed in this job description
Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Degree in engineering, science or related discipline
- 8 or more years of relevant industry experience in thermal subsurface operations / development
- In depth familiarity with thermal reservoir simulation (STARS preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to provide support and guidance to junior staff
- Familiarity with Reservoir Characterization lab testing (e.g., PVT, relative permeability)
- A track record of creativity and innovation in generating and implementing reservoir engineering solutions, especially in a thermal environment
- Familiarity with the geological deposition of the McMurray bitumen formation
- Result-oriented, problem solver
- Must have a passion and drive to take ownership of projects from start to finish
- Strong understanding of wellbore hydraulics
- Track record of execution in a highly collaborative team environment
- Must possess standard computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, Project, Power-point etc.)
- Must have good communication skills, both written and verbal. Giving technical presentations will be an important part of this position.
- In depth knowledge of the bitumen recovery technology
- Enthusiastic learner and possessing a healthy sense of humor are definite advantage