|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||July 10, 2017|
Scientific Drilling International (SDI) is an independent service provider offering a complete high accuracy wellbore placement and drilling solution. Our vision is to become the ULTIMATE PARTNER in wellbore placement and productivity around the world. We are globally positioned to support a wide range of markets including Oil & Gas, CBM/CSG, Geothermal, and Mining Industries. For more than 40 years, we have been dedicated to delivering a customer experience that makes it easy to do business.
Scientific Drilling is accepting online applications for the position of Senior Petrophysicist, in Houston, Texas.
The LWD Product Line works closely with other departments to develop new LWD technologies, market and monitor the operations of existing technologies, set standards to ensure that final data delivered to customers meet SDI standards and are responsive to the needs of the customer. The Petrophysicist will act as a domain expert; providing insight on LWD technology development, oil and gas geology, log QA/QC processes, and log interpretation. The Petrophysicist will have the following primary responsibilities:
- During LWD technology development, act as subject matter expert on tool physics, providing insight to Engineering group during the concept, design, prototype and testing phase.
- During field testing of LWD technologies, set measurements acceptance guidelines for the technologies and verify/confirm that the said guidelines have been met.
- Provide support to ongoing jobs by reviewing LWD logs and providing expert advice when necessary.
- Update and monitor guidelines for QA/QC of LWD logs during the job and post job.
- Provide log interpretation expertise both internally and for the client.
- Meet with customers to discuss LWD data from past jobs.
- Evaluate the suitability of SDI LWD technology for proposed application.
- Put together case studies highlighting successful applications of LWD technologies.
- Seek out opportunities to submit abstracts and publish papers at conferences such as SPWLA annual symposium, SPE/ATCE, AAPG, etc.
- Work closely with LWD Technical Product Champion in generating appropriate collateral (Operations guides, product specifications etc) needed before commercialization of a new LWD product.
- Work with training department to put together and teach a basic log interpretation course for LWD Operators.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficiency of the oil and gas industry.
- Knowledgeable in theory behind the operations of most LWD tools.
- Excellent understanding of log analysis, and interpretation/processing of logs and images.
- Strong Geological background .
- Demonstrated creativity and problem-solving ability.
- Must be able to work independently under little to no supervision and as part of cross disciplinary team.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to interact easily and effectively with company leadership, engineering and customers.
- Up to 30% travel (domestic and international).
- Proven history of results in a fast-paced environment.
Education, Training, Certifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Petrophysics or related earth science or engineering degree.
- 5+ years in the oil and gas industry doing relatable work as a petrophysicist.
- Experience with LWD/logging including data analysis and quality control preferred.
- Master's Degree or PhD in Petrophysics or related field a plus.