|Date Posted||July 5, 2017|
|Min. Years Experience Required||15|
Senior Petrophysicist, European Support
Vermilion has an excellent opportunity for a Senior Petrophysicist. Based in offices in either Amsterdam (Netherlands), Berlin or Hanover (Germany) and reporting to Geosciences Manager, the Senior Petrophysicist will provide petrophysical support to the subsurface teams throughout Vermilion’s business units in Europe and Central/Eastern Europe. Responsible for the integration, interpretation and assessment of subsurface data, in order to develop a comprehensive knowledge of the assets across Vermilion’s European portfolio and mature growth opportunities from both exploration, development and production perspective. Responsibilities will include delivering robust petrophysical evaluation for reservoir characterisation and modelling, regional exploration studies, reservoir surveillance/ management and resource quantification. The company has a fast moving work environment where decisions are made quickly; technical excellence is paramount and subsurface understanding is key to unlocking an asset and basin’s potential. This role provides an excellent opportunity to join an exciting and growth focused company.
- Responsible for the timely and accurate petrophysical evaluation of all new wells drilled by Vermilion or partners in Germany, France, Netherlands, Ireland and Central and Eastern Europe.
- Provide on-call technical operational support to drilling and completions operations.
- Deliver high quality standard log analysis & petrophysical interpretations that integrate all subsurface data (core (litho, poroperm, SCAL, log, reservoir surveillance, well test).
- Support the European business units for the maturation of exploration, appraisal and development targets in Germany, France, Netherlands, Ireland and Central and Eastern Europe. Secondary support to the other business units within the company, when required.
- Support Integrated subsurface teams in developing logging and core analysis programs to meet formation evaluation needs. Advise on service companies choice and contract negotiation.
- Ability to integrate log data with rock properties, SCAL data and seismic parameters.
- Provide reservoir characterization input for reserves and resources estimations.
- Enhance data management services to all groups.
- Support Integrated subsurface teams in data management.
- Conduct presentations to management, partners and government bodies, as required.
- Disseminate petrophysical knowledge/ develop petrophysical skills within the European Business units.
- Support Europe’s business development initiatives, as required – including the petrophysical evaluation of key assets/wells in data rooms for potential asset acquisitions.
- Monitor non-operated logging and coring programs and ensure adherence to Vermilion’s standard in operator’s petrophysical interpretation.
Essential Experience & Skills
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience in petrophysical interpretation and operations.
- High technical proficiency with industry standard log analysis software (IP experience an advantage).
- Experience in evaluating conventional oil and gas reservoirs, tight gas and tight oil plays.
- Experience in standard and specialized logging (NMR/ CMR, Image logs, Reservoir surveillance).
- Ability to embrace new technologies, support to its fit-for-purpose deployment in European logging activities and application of such knowledge in petrophysical support.
- A strong team player, a good communicator who is self-confident, takes initiative, shows creative approach and can manage his support (remote and local) to 3 (or more) different locations.
- Demonstrates good project management skills: ability to manage/ deliver operation/ studies support within the geographically spread Vermilion’s European business unit model.
- Travelling to business units will be required to provide better efficiency in project framing, results communication, and knowledge dissemination.
- International experience would be a plus, with specific knowledge on European basins and reservoirs.
- B.Sc. in Earth Sciences or Engineering
Attributes & Characteristics
- Open and honest team player
- Positive and engaging personality
- Flexible, influential and assertive when required
- International company, headquartered in Alberta, Canada
- Diverse asset base in Europe, Australia, US and Canada
- 20-year history of market outperformance
- Ranked among the Top 10 Best Workplaces in Canada, France and The Netherlands
- Challenging and inspiring environment that embraces teamwork and collaboration
- Strong community investment and committed to giving back to the communities where our people live and work
Vermilion is committed to ensuring we conduct our activities in a manner that will protect the health and safety of our employees, contractors and the public. Our HSE vision is to fully integrate Health, Safety and Environment into our business, where our culture is recognized as a model by industry and stakeholders, resulting in a healthy workplace free of incidents. All positions at Vermilion require a commitment to high levels of excellence in respect to HSE, reinforcing our corporate Core Values of Excellence, Trust, Respect, and Responsibility.