|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||February 1, 2017|
|Min. Years Experience Required||10|
Senior Geophysicist GOM Mad Dog
BHP Billiton is a leading global resources company. Our purpose is to create long-term shareholder value through the discovery, acquisition, development and marketing of natural resources. Across our global operations, we are committed to working in ways that are true to Our BHP Billiton Charter values of Sustainability, Integrity, Respect, Performance, Simplicity and Accountability.
The Mad Dog field in DWGOM, is an exciting field with existing production, planned development and several growth opportunities.
The Senior Geophysicist on the Mad Dog Subsurface Team will be an experienced, proven professional, responsible for completing complex geophysical assignments. Tasks include the interpretation of multiple seismic datasets and their integration with other data including well results and reservoir performance. This work will guide important development decisions especially well locations and timing. This position will be also responsible for the oversight of planning and execution of advanced seismic acquisition and processing.
The Geophysicist will be capable of completing work independently, while working in a multidisciplinary team and with Functional support teams.
BEHAVIORAL & LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
· Commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility, and sustainable development
· Consistently strives for and maintains high standards of integrity; treats everyone fairly and with respect
· Acts with a personal sense of urgency to achieve high quality results within set time frames
· Clearly communicates technical position to management and to the Operator with well-crafted and documented technical presentations/ interpretations
· Applies knowledge and experience to solve complex interpretations and make sound decisions; remains flexible and applies good judgment when faced with ambiguity and uncertainty
· Contributes ideas and proactively shares information in a collaborative team environment
· Solicits and quickly acts on received feedback, while providing constructive feedback to others
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Interpret and evaluate subsurface geologic/geophysical/well data to construct integrated maps, cross sections, and other geophysical/geologic displays to further the team's understanding of the field and identify/evaluate additional drillable opportunities.
· Work closely with a team of geologists, geoscience specialists, reservoir and production engineers to integrate seismic interpretation with other data sets including well performance and reservoir behavior.
· Collaborates with JVP technical counterparts to seek/understand and to communicate BHPB's views
· Evaluate seismic acquisition and processing plans proposed by the operator and make sound recommendations to subsurface team, Geoscience Function and management
· Oversee the acquisition and processing of all seismic activities in the field
· Meet all project schedules, deliverables, and subsurface milestones as outlined in subsurface work plans
· Collaborate with Geoscience Function and Central Engineering on geological /geophysical matters
· Assist in mentoring and on-the-job training of less experienced Geoscientists
· Capture any opportunities to apply new or improved geoscience technologies within the team
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Master's Degree or higher in relevant geoscience discipline
· Minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience in the upstream petroleum industry
· Experience required in 3D seismic interpretations, integration of multiple types of datasets, volumetric and risk determination
· Familiarity with seismic attributes and geophysical best practices/workflows is required
· Experience required working with the integration and management of various forms of geophysical/geologic data
· Familiarity with both deterministic and probabilistic methods of assessing in-place hydrocarbon resources and risk and uncertainty
· Familiarity with well operations
· Familiarity with Petrel seismic interpretation preferred
· Experience working conventional producing assets is preferred
At BHP Billiton, we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. We offer a diverse and challenging environment with great learning and career opportunities for people who share our values. BHP Billiton's Petroleum business has exploration, development, production and marketing activities in countries around the globe, including significant positions in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico, onshore U.S., Australia, and Trinidad and Tobago.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
FEMALES, MINORITIES, VETERANS, DISABLED AND OTHER PROTECTED GROUPS