|Location||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||June 21, 2017|
Turning marginal and challenging fields into commercial success has been the cornerstone of Maersk Oil’s business since it began in 1962. We focus on pioneering technologies and harnessing talent to operate safely and successfully creating value for partners and host governments.
Maersk Oil became established in the UK in 2005 following the acquisition of Kerr McGee’s UK Assets. We are headquartered in Aberdeen, Scotland with two producing assets in the Central North Sea and are also developing the Culzean field, the largest discovery on the UK Continental Shelf for more than a decade, with first gas scheduled in 2019.
We are looking for a Senior Geophysicist with a strong interpretation and QI skills, experience of field development planning, infill drilling and mature field operations, the Senior Geophysicist will have a key position in providing input to reservoir characterisation, well planning, well and reservoir management activities on Maersk operated assets. It is expected that technical support will be given to infill wells and 4D seismic acquisition and processing on non-operated assets. We Offer The role provides the opportunity for exposure to several different elements of geophysics from being integral to a proposed infill well campaign to involvement in non-operated 4D seismic acquisition, processing and further infill wells. There will also be the opportunity to mentor junior geophysicists and be active in discipline peer support activities.
You will be joining an enjoyable team environment that is dedicated to maximising the value of the assets. The opportunity has the potential for both personal and business growth alongside a competitive salary and benefits package.
• Identify and provide input to project risk and well geohazard registers, through evaluation of drilling hazards and displaying a sound understanding of subsurface risk and uncertainty assessment.
• Identifying, optimizing and planning field development activities as part of a multi-disciplinary team. Supporting delivery of infill wells through all stages of the well delivery process. Ensuring that geophysical understanding is integrated when making decisions regarding well placement, completion, reservoir management and further development activities.
• Initiating and delivering stratigraphic and structural interpretations and QI studies for in-field and near field development prospects and general mature field support
• A key area of responsibility will be supporting non operated assets through the acquisition, processing and evaluation of 4D seismic data.
• Provide coaching and guidance to less experienced Geophysicists in the team, helping to develop junior geoscience staff for generalist and specialist careers.
• Integrating a sound understanding of geological risk and uncertainty assessment into Geophysical interpretations and studies
• Internally and externally representing Maersk Oil UK on geophysics matters. Through proficient coordination and communication ensuring effective cooperation with external and internal stakeholders.
• Proactively identifying and implementing improvements to current geophysical workflows and processes.
• Working closely with the Geophysics teams in the company headquarters to improve seismic data quality and actively developing the geophysics/geoscience community within Maersk Oil.
• Pursuing scope for increased oil recovery in the short, medium and long term. Who we are looking for • A candidate with a M.Sc. Geology/Geophysics or higher degree.
• Relevant industry and North Sea experience beneficial
• Significant experience within structural/stratigraphic interpretation, QI, reservoir characterization and depth conversion. Integrated reservoir modelling exposure and 4D/reservoir management experience would be a significant advantage
• Knowledge of COHIBA and/or probabilistic depth prediction an advantage
• Understanding of the entire well maturation process from initial concept through planning and execution with particular emphasis on geohazard assessment
• Team player but also able to work independently, at multiple time scales and projects, with broad knowledge of other technical disciplines including geology, reservoir engineering and petrophysics
• Good communicator able to clearly and concisely articulate subjects for the broader team
• Comfortable to work in a dynamic fast paced environment with significant time pressure