|Date Posted||August 8, 2016|
Senex is a growing exploration and production company with a 30-year operating history. The company holds interests in over 68,000 square kilometres of oil and gas acreage across the Cooper Basin and Surat Basin, two of Australia’s most prolific energy producing regions. Senex operates the majority of its assets, produces over one million barrels of oil annually, and is successfully building a material gas business. The company is headquartered in Brisbane and listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX: SXY).
The Senior Geophysicist provides for regional play based evaluation of all Cooper-Eromanga Basin oil and gas permits and new venture opportunities. Under minimal supervision, the Senior Geophysicist generates, interprets and evaluates seismic data and contributes to the ultimate resource assessment and evaluation of all conventional and unconventional plays. The Senior Geophysicist carries out regional well and seismic interpretation and mapping and works with all staff to ensure the appropriate information and models are provided for play mapping and prospective resource assessments.
Regional projects will focus on assisting the exploration project teams to high-grade Senex’s current exploration portfolio through the development of regional petroleum systems models. These link current tenement exploration efforts, while also identifying areas for future growth in order to assist the company to achieve corporate volume and value growth targets. The Senior Geophysicist will also be responsible for mentoring junior Geoscientists. In addition, It is expected that they will be involved in all aspects of exploration and development including designing, planning and implementing seismic programs and providing technical, geophysical advice.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to undertake regional studies and Play Fairway analyses and conduct all work to a defined schedule and to a technical excellent standard consistent with Senex’s exploration methodology
- Where necessary, identification of leads and maturation of prospects to drillable status through the internal peer review process, including coordination of input from geologists, reservoir engineers and drillers
- Interpretation of all available seismic data in project areas defined by the Manager Regional Studies
- Generation of time, velocity and depth maps for multiple horizons at both local and regional scale utilising regional and Local 2D and 3D seismic datasets
- Use all available seismic technology to extract maximum stratigraphic information from both 2D and 3D seismic datasets
- Integrate geophysical interpretations into regional structural models, petroleum systems models, CRS mapping, risk analysis and volumetric assessments
- Presentation to senior management, board and JV partners as required
- Applying Workplace Health and Safety standards to all business activity and adhere to relevant policies
- Complying with all Senex Energy policies and government regulations including but not limited to WHSE, aboriginal heritage and land ownership legislation, HR/ER/IR, Finance
The incumbent will require the following qualifications and experience:
- Geophysics or related geophysical tertiary qualifications
- Extensive experience working in Oil & Gas industry
- High level Petrel seismic interpretation user (or equivalent) including latest seismic attribute analysis techniques (AVO, spectral decomp etc.) and seismic data management.
- Strong core skills in sequence stratigraphy, and structural geology with the ability to contribute to the formation of gross depositional environment maps
- Strong understanding of probabilistic volumetric analysis and risk assessments
- Proven track record in developing geological models and integration into prospect generation work flows.
- Well-developed mentoring and administrative skills
- Demonstrated analytical, evaluation and reporting skills
- 2D and 3D seismic interpretive experience
- Broad working history and knowledge of Cooper Basin petroleum geology (or an equivalent onshore basin)