|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||August 23, 2016|
|Min. Years Experience Required||15|
Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY) is an international oil and gas exploration and production company, and its OxyChem subsidiary is a major North American chemical manufacturer. We are one of the largest U.S. oil and gas companies, based on equity market capitalization, with more than 40,000 employees and contractors worldwide. Our greatest asset has been and will continue to be our people. We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Geological Consultant within our Permian EOR group based in Houston, TX.
Essential Job Duties:
Responsible for building, maintaining and evaluating complex, fit-for-purpose geological models for reservoir simulation studies, field development planning and reservoir surveillance.
• Build and evaluate large (>1000 wells), complex geological models in Petrel modeling software.
• Review depositional facies, conventional core analysis, capillary pressure data, openhole logs and production data to determine reservoir and non-reservoir rock types & flow characteristics, hydrocarbon distribution and fluid contacts.
• Use sequence stratigraphy and flow unit architecture to define and build optimal reservoir zonation and layering schemes integrating core, well log, and seismic data.
• Perform and QC geostatistical modeling of rock types, porosity, and permeability integrating openhole log, core and 3D seismic data (where appropriate).
• Perform and QC water saturation modeling using Sw-h, Leverett-J, Lucia, Geo2Flow, or other appropriate modeling techniques.
• Perform volumetric calculations to determine STOIIP/GIIP.
• Identify key static uncertainties impacting STOIIP/GIIP and hydrocarbon flow characteristics and communicate to technical staff and management. Build alternative realizations or scenarios to calculate probabilistic range of STOIIP/GIIP and/or flow behavior.
• Perform upscaling of reservoir structure and properties from fine-scale geologic model grids to coarse-scale simulation model grids.
• Provide assistance as needed to Reservoir Engineer in simulation model history-matching, generation of prediction cases, and field development planning.
• Use geologic model to identify by-passed pay and generate opportunities for workovers, sidetracks, infill drilling, and secondary/tertiary recovery projects.
• Present methodology and project evaluation to technical management.
• Document model in a written report and illustrate with cross sections, maps, cross plots, histograms, and summary tables.
• Mentor junior staff and lead knowledge sharing initiatives.
• Able to prepare material and teach technical content for larger internal classes.
• Master’s or Ph.D. degree in Geology
• 15+ years of industry experience
• 10+ years of recent geologic modeling experience
Skills & Competencies:
• Expert user of Petrel 3D modeling software or equivalent.
• Subject matter expert in sequence stratigraphy, carbonate reservoir geology and/or geostatistics.
• Familiarity with U.S. Permian Basin stratigraphy.
• Experience modeling carbonate reservoir structure, stratigraphy, rock types, porosity, permeability, and water saturation based on core, openhole log, and 3D seismic data.
• Experience in upscaling reservoir structure and properties.
• Experience providing geologic modeling inputs to reservoir engineers on simulation projects.
• Experienced development geologist with field development planning.
• Experienced mentor and team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Consistently adds constructive comments, questions and suggestions with a positive attitude in meetings.
Oxy is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Individual with Disability/Veteran Status