|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||November 12, 2017|
Marathon Oil-s Resource Exploration (REx) organization is seeking an experienced Sedimentary Petrologist.- The successful candidate will provide the sedimentology and petrology analysis of shales/fine grained sediments, carbonates, and siliciclastics for the Resource Exploration (REx) Team.- The primary responsibility is to deliver comprehensive integrated geologic/petrologic analyses and interpretations focused on de-risking play opportunities and provide decision contribution for basin/play entry. -The role will require close interface with the geologists, geophysicists, basin modeler / geochemist, petrophysicist and reservoir engineers.
- Detailed, qualitative analysis of 3D CT scan interpretations of conventional cores.
- Comprehensive thin section petrographic analyses of rock samples (conventional core, sidewall cores, drill cuttings, hand specimens from outcrop) to identify lithologies, microfabrics, biofacies, diagenesis and microfacies. -Conduct petrographic examination of samples and thin section photomicroscopy.
- Core descriptions (mixed carbonate/siliciclastic systems, carbonates, shales/mudstones).
- Identification of pore types and pore distributions using FE-SEM technology, SEM, geochemical and petrographic data.
- Facilitate wireline log calibration and integration of CT scans, thin section descriptions, XRD, with geochemical, petrophysical and fracture data into stratigraphic framework.
- Provide lithofacies-based rock properties for input into models for landing laterals and optimizing potential productive facies.
- Develop basin specific, spatial distributions of lithofacies and biofacies; development of paleodepositional models for exploration and development strategies. -
- Apply new technologies to enhance analyses and workflows and progress understanding of rock data.
- Deploy and integrate industry leading exploration techniques for basin/play entry
- Monitor Joint Industry Projects.
- Education: Master-s Degree in Geology
- Minimum 10 years of-relevant industry experience as a sedimentary petrologist
- Computer Skills:- EasyCore and EasyCopy, PerGeos, Microsoft Office Suite
-Marathon Oil Corporation (NYSE: MRO) is an independent international exploration and production company. Based in Houston, Texas, the Company has activity in North America, Europe and Africa. The Company has three reportable operating segments, each of which is organized and managed based primarily upon geographic location and the nature of the products and services it offers.
Marathon Oil Company will take the necessary action to ensure that applicants are treated without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status or other protected status under applicable employment law.
If you are a current Marathon employee please use the ERP website to submit referrals.