|Location||Midland, United States|
|Date Posted||June 14, 2017|
|Min. Years Experience Required||8|
The Senior Geologist handles complex geological assignments on an independent basis, with a focus on integrating the geologic, petrophysical, geophysical, and reservoir engineering data to efficiently develop reserves in the assigned project area. Has a current and comprehensive understanding of sequence stratigraphy, slope and basin depositional environments/processes, petrophysics, and development geology – especially as relevant to unconventional (‘shale’) plays. Actively participates in the well planning process to optimize well locations using all available data. Works well in a multi-discipline team environment, and is able to mentor less experienced geologic staff as required.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities
- Actively participate in asset maturation, development planning, prospect generation
- Design and implement field-wide geologic data gathering programs to improve understanding and monetization of stacked, unconventional reservoirs
- Interpret and integrate specialized core analyses relevant to ‘shale’ plays in order to optimize well placement, well spacing, and reservoir development
- Integrate geological work with geophysical and reservoir engineering analyses to provide unified interpretations
- Analyze log data, correlate log tops, generate control points, update mapping systems
- Provide detailed depositional models within a regional sequence stratigraphic framework
- Prepare recommendations and supporting documentation for drilling horizontal and/or vertical wells and present to management
- Provide geologic guidance into the development of asset-specific earth models and reservoir models
- Support the Asset Team by participating in reserve booking data collections & discussions, completion recommendations, SWD candidate evaluations, quarterly reviews with upper management, budget planning, special mapping projects, etc.
- Mentor and train less experienced geologists on the Asset Team
- Participate in acreage evaluations for bolt-on acquisitions
- Conduct business with the highest ethical standards; demonstrate decision-making skills that ensure the safety of all persons associated with SM facilities
- Other duties as assigned
Role-Specific Technical Knowledge and Skills
Expertise in recommending, gathering, interpreting, and integrating the geologic, geochemical, petrophysical, and geomechanical data related to unconventional ‘shale’ plays is critical. Strong development geology experience and the demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team setting is also essential. Strong verbal and written communication skills are very important. Petrophysical background a strong plus. Midland Basin experience a plus. Experience in earth modeling / reservoir modeling a plus.
Strong computer skill base. Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook). Expertise in utilizing a geologic mapping software package (e.g., PETRA, Geographix). Proficiency with Interactive Petrophysics (IP), Kingdom, Petrel, or Spotfire a plus.
M.S. degree in Geology or Geophysics required.
Minimum of 8 years experience. 12+ years of experience preferred.