|Date Posted||June 5, 2017|
|Min. Years Experience Required||8|
Senior Exploration Geologist –Ecuador
Reports to: Superintendent Exploration
Work type: Full Time - Permanent
Location: Quito – Ecuador
The Senior Exploration Geologist is accountable for leading all technical elements of Greenfield exploration activity in an approved focus area with either country, regional or single project accountabilities. The function is responsible for developing technical work programs designed to simply and effectively test for giant resource potential and ensuring operations plans are designed to deliver against technical requirements.
The function is accountable for all activities within mandated area of accountability including the delivery of discrete projects from early stage reconnaisance through to Business Handover or divestment, as defined by the President Copper.
Accountabilities span Prospectivity Mapping, Opportunity Selection, Target Generation, Target Testing and Delineation phases as outlined in the Exploration Business Critical Documents (BCD’s). The role is accountable for designing, planning and safely executing exploration programs matched to Technical Decision Trees.
Role is accountable for tracking and reporting on regional exploration trends and opportunities within the Region. Primary purpose of the role is to work collaboratively within the Exploration Team to define targets and test opportunities for Giant Resource potential within approved focus areas.
- Provides input to the Manager Exploration (Project/Region) and/or Superintendent Exploration (Generative and/or (Project/Region) on the identification, evaluation, prioritisation and selection of discovery opportunities for pursuit
- Participates and provides input and advice on the identification and evaluation of greenfield discovery opportunities, through terrane ranking, prospectivity mapping, opportunity identification and field validation activities
- Maintains current knowledge on third party exploration results, regional exploration activity and trends. Pro-actively provides feedback on regional third party intelligence to Manager Exploration and the Commercial group.
Target Definition, Target Testing and Delineation
- Accountable for target definition activities on discovery opportunities are effectively planned, executed and progressed to build and maintain a portfolio of drill-ready exploration targets
- Contributes to the geoscience work program requirements for delineation ensuring they are appropriately designed, scheduled and costed;
- Designs and implements field mapping programmes. Integrates field and drill hole data to produce geological cross sections and target generation maps.
- Ensures mapping and logging is completed using procedures to required standards in a variety of environments.
- Produces interpretations from various data sets (remote sensing, geophysical images).
- Produces alteration maps and integrate structural data to generate targets.
- Designs drilling programmes.
- Ensures quality control of samples and correct sample management and storage.
- Completes capture, analysis, interpretation, storage and archive of data to required standards
- Manages all down hole survey/logging activities to standard (application and use).
- Reports drill results promptly to Manager/Team Leader Exploration
- Sources geochemical, geophysical and geological data to map the footprint of the targeted mineralisation style.
- Reviews and critiques technical reports, demonstrating strong communication and project visualisation skills.
- Complete field sections based on mapping and drilling information that honours geology, Stratigraphy and structural folding styles.
- Actively participate in RRA workshops and document process
- Ensures the geoscience work program is delivered in accordance with, schedule and budget, promptly reports deviations from plan and/or budget to Exploration management
- Provides input to regional 5 year business plan and 1-2 year budget
- Accountable for the implementation of the BHP Billiton Exploration Geoscience Competency and Career Development Framework at all levels of the Exploration team. This includes use across the full spectrum of recruitment, learning, performance and talent management activities.
- Supports development of geoscience skills through on the job and in-field coaching of team members
- Complete Code of Business Conduct Awareness Training on an annual basis.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Post Graduate Diploma, B. Sc.(HONS) to a M.Sc.(Exploration Geology) or M.Sc.(specialist) level, PhD
- 8 - 15 years’ experience across commodities and terranes and in discipline (geology/geoscience, geochemistry/geophysics, structural)
- Demonstrated exploration technical leadership and experience
- Technical leader of single country project or exploration project activity portfolio
- Visible safety leadership and sound risk assessment and management
- Deep understanding of greenfield discovery exploration value drivers and strategies within specific geography or focus area commodity
- Understanding of greenfield exploration geoscience inputs and activities
- Planning and execution of exploration work programs
- Sound exploration judgement, balancing technical, commercial, operational and risk elements using incomplete and/or ambiguous information
- Performance management, including measurement, tracking and reporting of exploration project delivery and results
- Proficiency in use of geological software packages to develop 3D geological models