|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||May 1, 2017|
|Min. Years Experience Required||10|
Houlihan Lokey’s Oil & Gas Exploration and Production (E&P) Group is a recognized leader in providing corporate finance services to oil & gas companies. This dedicated team of financial professionals focuses primarily on large, complex transactions in the upstream oil & gas industry, but is also mandated to execute midstream and downstream transactions. The E&P Group has a global reach, with teams in New York, London, Houston and Dallas, and regularly works on cross-border deals. Over the past year, the E&P Group has worked on more than a dozen engagements.
The Acquisitions & Divestitures (A&D) team is seeking an experienced candidate with a Petroleum Engineering background complemented by an extensive concentration in Reservoir Engineering. Preferably, the candidate currently works in a banking A&D team with experience in the banking advisory environment, backed by significant history of working for E&P companies or consulting firms. The ideal candidate will have an in-depth understanding of investment banking, financial modeling, and how the cash flows generated from a deep technical evaluation are used to most properly advise a corporation, its board, or its creditors. The candidate should know best practices associated with conducting an A&D advisory business—this includes the execution, engineering, and geosciences all efficiently packaged together with the technical excellence and efficiency required to be the benchmark in A&D.
The A&D team at Houlihan Lokey is growing rapidly, and we are looking for top-tier candidates who appreciate the strategic significance of a potential acquisition or divestiture from the context of the overall operating strategy and/or financial goals of the potential buyer and seller. The successful candidate must be a consummate team player and an individual who is responsive, communicative, and receptive to constructive input from colleagues, as well as willing to mentor junior team members. The A&D division is a fully integrated product within Houlihan Lokey’s E&P Group and works seamlessly with other divisions and business partners, offering the most complete advisory package, from the reservoir to the balance sheet. Technical and financial professionals are fully integrated, delivering only the highest level of complete service to our clients, be it for A&D, M&A, fairness opinions, restructuring, strategic consulting, or a broader financial advisory assignment.
- Provide fact-based and defensible engineering presentations of acquisitions and/or divestitures to senior management and potential buyers and sellers, including technical facts, reservoir, and economic analysis, as well as opinions on future development of the asset and the upside value associated with said development. The candidate must be able to do this in a composed, confident manner, being able to identify the upside, defend its value based on his/her own analysis, de-risk, and explain the merits of one’s evaluation to a prospective buyer or seller.
- Organize and manage a data room—buyside or sellside projects.
- Achieve consensus and collaboration across business entities and communicate with all levels of management and staff.
- Utilize technical knowledge in all areas of petroleum engineering, inclusive of one’s personal field-level operational experiences, in order to maintain high-level technical evaluations supporting the A&D advice being offered to clients.
- Work directly with the Head of Technical and the Head of A&D in risk mitigation and asset valuation assessments from the context of the strategic linkage with the targeted buyer, inclusive of a defensible upside analysis.
- Responsible for the evaluation of technical data for potential acquisitions and divestitures.
- Create, research, and analyze basin studies.
- Bid valuation analysis.
- Originate new business and develop existing relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree from a prominent engineering university in Petroleum Engineering
- MBA and/or CFA preferred
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in the oil & gas industry in technical positions of increasing responsibility
- At least five years’ experience specifically in the area of A&D technical evaluations
- Ability to document work, make clear and technically sound deductions and recommendations while being able to convey the engineering story in the form of a flowing, cohesive, and logical PowerPoint presentation
- A broad base of experience in a variety of geographic and geologic areas within the L48, be it shale, carbonates, or sandstones, with enough real-world application in each to have a deep understanding of the optimal operational development, risks, and upside potential
- Strong leadership capabilities, being able to lead by example and guide other engineers and geologists under his/her technical direction
- Exceptional work ethic with a high degree of integrity
- Superior communication and presentation skills
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Focused and results oriented, a strategic thinker, strong organizational and communication skills, a team player, highly motivated, and goal oriented
- Complete mastery of ARIES and Excel (expert or near expert level), Drilling Info, Spotfire or Tableau, and IHS (Production Data, Well Data, Enerdeq, Performance Evaluator, DeclinePlus, Herold’s)
· Additional proficiency in the use and application of software including (but not limited to): material balance (e.g., MBAL), nodal analysis (e.g., Prosper/GAP), pressure transient analysis (e.g., Saphir), rate transient analysis, reservoir simulation(e.g., Eclipse, Petrel RE), production database (e.g., OFM), development planning and cost analysis, and risk analysis
- Completion of FINRA Series 79 and 63 preferred
- Self-motivated, eager, highly competitive, display initiative, and able to operate with minimal supervision
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V