|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||October 23, 2018|
Job description/Person specification
The purpose of the Reservoir & Analysis Engineer is to determine the optimal analysis tools needed to deliver a seismic processing product to our clients, support OptaSense revenue growth by ensuring the integrity and relevance of data presented to clients, and ensure quality control of data acquired at well sites when required. Using various signal processing techniques, the senior geophysicist will execute projects regarding quantitative and qualitative products that can make an impact on the client’s understanding of the subsurface. This is a full-time, exempt position.
1. Work independently on borehole seismic processing projects ensuring that best analysis practices are met
2. Develop data processing sequences to ensure that the best processing products are delivered to clients
3. Carry out feasibility studies for vertical seismic profile (VSP) and Microseismic data acquisition geometries
4. Design, test and apply signal/image processing workflows to seismic, VSP and Microseismic data for novel analysis techniques
5. Provide technical leadership for engineering project including Weatherford OmniWell (Coiled-Tubing-
Conveyed Fiber Optic PT & DTS), Next Generation Bragg Grating Interrogator (BGI Gen3), xQuartz
6. Gauge, and Real-Time DTS visualization software
7. Support processing of VSP and Microseismic data utilizing industry standard and proprietary seismic data processing software
8. Collaborate with OptaSense software engineers to continuously improve proprietary software algorithms and graphical user interfaces; determine features necessary for facilitating data processing or modeling; to include software evaluation.
9. Collaborate with OFS Field Service Engineers on matters pertaining data quality and field parameter testing. This task can be performed remotely and on occasion in the field.
10. Interface with clients to collect relevant information and data necessary for modeling or processing projects; generate final reports and present to clients
11. Interpret VSP and Microseismic data and results
12. Keep current with new and changing information by attending continuing education courses, preparing and reading industry papers, and attending trade shows
13. Write report documents and generate figures to communicate results
14. Providing sales and marketing support
15. Travel to and work at well sites to provide field acquisition QC.
16. Follow HSE procedures at all times
17. Collaborate with and provide training to more junior personnel as needed for execution of projects
18. Other duties as assigned
1. Strong verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
a. Must possess hearing and speech to communicate with customers and/or employees in person and over the phone.
2. Solid analytical and problem-solving skills with a key emphasis on signal and image processing
3. Possess design skills to translate concepts and information into images, modify designs and apply design principles
4. Self-motivated and strong team player
5. Must be able to work in an office setting and at well sites.
a. occasionally work near moving mechanical parts, in high precarious places, around fumes or airborne particles and toxic chemicals, in outdoor weather conditions where there will occasionally be a risk of electrical shock
b. must be able to work in an environment that has moderate noise level
c. must be able to adapt to changes in the work environment, managing competing demands and dealing with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events
6. While performing the duties of this job:
a. must be able to sit and use hands to finger, handle or feel
b. frequently talk or hear
c. occasionally stand and walk
d. occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
e. must have clear 20/20 vision, able to identify and distinguish colors, possess depth perception, and able to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus
7. Some travel may be required (approximately 5 – 10% of the time, or about 1 week per quarter)
8. Ability to use standard office equipment including phone, copier, email and computer
9. Ability to work evenings and weekends depending on business needs and work long hours when necessary to reach goals
Experience & Qualifications
1. Bachelor's or master’s degree in petroleum engineering, geosciences or related discipline.
2. Mid-level oil and gas experience; or 5 to 10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
3. Proficient in MATLAB and/or Python.
4. Experience in frac and reservoir modelling packages.
5. Experience in working in upstream oil & gas environment such as unconventionals, completions, production, artificial lift, SAGD.
6. Proficient with various common O&G; Industry standard protocols including Modbus (RS-232/485),
TCP/IP, OPC and Communication Master / Slave relationships