|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||June 21, 2017|
Principal II - Operations Geologist
At BHP Billiton we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the role:
BHPB Petroleum currently operates exploration and development licenses globally. The Operations Geologist Principal II role is responsible for planning, executing, monitoring and communicating the formation evaluation portion of well delivery in a global area, designated by the Geological Operations Manager. The successful candidate will be responsible for the administrative aspects of managing third party, geologic service providers to ensure compliance with BHP policies and ensure the maximum objective data capture. As a senior member of the Geological Operations team, the candidate is required to mentor and advise the early career personnel on the Geological Operations team.
A Principal II Operations Geologist must have a strong technical and operational understanding of Deepwater Operations. It is essential that the candidate understands offshore formation evaluation services. This knowledge is required to implement BHP best practices and to ensure that the planned objectives for the well are met. The candidate will be expected to input technical recommendations during tender evaluations to guarantee optimized and cost effective data acquisition.
Members of the Geological Operations team are required to implement and sustain the strong safety culture at BHP. The person will participate in the BHP Field Leadership initiative and be an advocate for safety with 3rd party vendors.
The role involves working with and providing objective advice to the Well Project team and has to ensure effective communications between the Geoscience and Drilling teams, plus make sure important and relevant information is communicated to offshore personnel. The successful candidate will have to show advanced problem solving skills to react to unexpected real-time operations.
This is a grade 12 role.
In this role you will:
- Excellent technical and operational understanding of petroleum business with several areas of expertise.
- Good understanding of Well Delivery and the requirements of all associated stakeholders.
- Excellent communication skills; advanced problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent understanding of DeepWater Drilling Operations is mandatory.
- Good contract administration skills.
- Good supervisory and leadership skills.
- Initiate PRF, quote and PO requisitions
- Responsible party for Exploration Field Leadership initiative on operated wells
- Masters of Science Degree
- A minimum of 20 years’ relevant industry experience
- Extensive experience in formation evaluation data and physical sample acquisition
- Data Management proficiency
- Excellent project management expertise
- Excellent communication skills
- Offshore HSE and Safety experience including offshore survival training.
- Ability to interact well across different teams/functions/divisions of the organization
Supporting a diverse workforce
At BHP Billiton, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people.
We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options; a generous paid parental leave policy; other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the advertised close date.
We support flexible work at BHP Billiton. Talk to us about the flexible working options in this team
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
FEMALES, MINORITIES, VETERANS, DISABLED AND OTHER PROTECTED GROUPS