|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||June 21, 2017|
|Min. Years Experience Required||15|
Principal II - Geophysicist - GOM Exploration
At BHP Billiton we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the role:
The Principal Geophysicist II on the Gulf of Mexico (GOM) Exploration License Team will be an experienced, proven professional, with particular strength in seismic interpretation and seismic processing. The GOM Exploration License Team is a multi-disciplinary team responsible for sub-regional studies, prospect maturation, well planning activities, and well operations. The Geophysicist will be capable of completing work independently and in collaboration with the members of the GOM US License Team, the GOM Regional Team, and the Functional support teams. The successful candidate will have a unique opportunity to apply his or her strong background in geology and geophysics to help drive well investment and lease management decisions. The initial focus of the role will be on the Western GOM Paleogene prospects in the US. Mentoring and coaching of junior geoscientists is an additional key dimension of the role.
This role is a grade 12 position.
In this role you will:
- Lead seismic interpretation efforts to create structure maps, develop sub-regional models of basin evolution, and produce detailed prospect-scale maps
- Lead seismic processing projects and make recommendations for new seismic data acquisition and/or purchases
- Mentor early career team members and promote best practices in the application of geophysical data
- Capture any opportunities to apply new or improved geoscience technologies within the team
- Provide technical leadership in well investment Volume-Risk-Value evaluations
- Advise across Gulf of Mexico Exploration teams on seismic data quality, uncertainty, interpretation methodologies, and limitations of seismic data sets
- Work closely with a team of geologists, geophysicists, petrophysicists to mature prospects in the Gulf of Mexico
- Work closely with a team of geoscientists, petrophysicists, pore pressure specialists, shallow hazard specialist and drilling engineers to plan a basis of well design and execute the drilling program as needed
- Responsible for integrating various geologic and geophysical products into subsurface assessments and volume/risk analysis
- Collaborate with Geoscience Function, and Central Engineering on all geological/geophysical/subsurface related matters
- Able to integrate geologists’ and petroleum systems specialists’ inputs into internally consistent geologic models
- Meet all project schedules, deliverables, and subsurface milestones as outlined in subsurface work plans, as required by role
- Participate in HSE activities are required
- Preferred 15+ years of relevant work experience in the upstream petroleum industry
- Master's Degree or higher in relevant geoscience discipline
- Deep knowledge of seismic acquisition and processing techniques
- Experience interpreting sub-salt seismic data preferred
- Experience required in prospect maturation, volumetric and risk analysis
- Experience required working with the integration and management of various forms of geologic data to arrive at a plausible geologic model for leads and prospects over BHP leases
- Experience working conventional exploration and/or producing assets is preferred
- Familiarity with both deterministic and probabilistic methods of assessing in-place hydrocarbon resources and risk and uncertainty
- Familiarity with well planning and well operations is preferred
- Familiarity with key interpretation software packages (DSG)
- Skilled at crafting and delivering clear, concise technical presentations to both internal and external stakeholders.
Supporting a diverse workforce
At BHP Billiton, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people.
We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options; a generous paid parental leave policy; other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the advertised close date.
We support flexible work at BHP Billiton. Talk to us about the flexible working options in this team
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
FEMALES, MINORITIES, VETERANS, DISABLED AND OTHER PROTECTED GROUPS