|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||May 2, 2017|
|Min. Years Experience Required||15|
At BHP Billiton we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the role
The Geologist on the Eagle Ford Field Studies Team will be an experienced, proven professional, responsible for completing complex geological assignments, conducting detailed reservoir characterization on our Eagle Ford assets and mentoring junior team members across NA Shale. The Field Studies team is tasked with evaluating static and dynamic data, evaluating new horizons to appraise and identify production enhancement opportunities to optimize the field development plan. The Geologist will be capable of completing and leading work independently, while working in a multidisciplinary team and with the Field Development and Subsurface Engineering teams to deliver successful results to the Production Unit.
In this role you will:
- Interpret and evaluate subsurface geologic/geophysical/engineering data to construct integrated displays, assess in-place resource ranges, develop Appraisal/Field Development plans and VRV assessments of alternative horizons
- Work closely with a team of geologists, geophysicists, petrophysicists, operations geologists and engineers to integrate well log correlations, petrophysics, geochemisty, geomechanics, seismic interpretations, production and completion data, and geologic model(s) to optimize development plans and strategies
- Develop and execute integrated subsurface work plans
- In-depth understanding of concepts and principles in own discipline and broad knowledge of other disciplines including reservoir engineering, production engineering, drilling and completions.
- Influence, advise and collaborate with Geoscience Function, Central Engineering, and Exploration teams on all geological/subsurface related matters, often at high levels
- Coordinate and advise geological and vendor studies to characterize opportunities within North American Shale
- Assume technical leadership role in project evaluation and execution
- Assist in mentoring and on-the-job training of junior level Geoscientists
- Assist in broader North American shale geoscience strategy development
- Participate in HSE activities as required
- Capture opportunities to apply new or improved geoscience technologies across North American Shale
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant work experience in the upstream petroleum industry
- Experience required in reservoir characterization studies, 3D geological modeling techniques, workflows and Field development planning in a production geoscience environment
- Experience required working with the integration and management of various forms of geologic data
- Experience coaching and mentoring junior geoscience staff
- Experience working unconventional development projects and/or producing assets is preferred but not required
- Familiarity with both deterministic and probabilistic methods of assessing in-place hydrocarbon resources, range analysis methods and differentiating risk and uncertainty
- Familiarity with well planning and well operations
- Familiarity with Schlumberger's Petrel and Studio tools
- Master's Degree or higher in relevant geoscience discipline
Supporting a diverse workforce
At BHP Billiton, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people.
We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options; a generous paid parental leave policy; other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the advertised close date.
We support flexible work at BHP Billiton. Talk to us about the flexible working options in this team.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
FEMALES, MINORITIES, VETERANS, DISABLED AND OTHER PROTECTED GROUPS