|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||May 5, 2017|
|Min. Years Experience Required||15|
At BHP Billiton we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the role:
BHP Billiton currently operates two exploration blocks surrounding the Trion discovery. The Appraisal Geologist is responsible for evaluating the Trion field area of the blocks characterizing, managing and reducing risks and uncertainties inherent in the subsurface while fulfilling the Exploration Assurance Process. This includes integrating geology into development recommendations, as well as planning, executing and evaluating appraisal wells and subsurface data acquisition, per the license and minimum work program requirements.
This role is a grade 12 position.
In this role you will:
- Conformance with the BHP Billiton Charter, Group Level Documents, Code of Conduct and relevant internal compliance and external regulatory requirements
- Integration and compilation of existing subsurface work and regional understanding ensuring previous work and knowledge are transferred
- Lead volumetric updates with accountability for static model delivery including mentoring team members
- Develop trapping framework including structural contour maps, conformance to regional trends, isopachs, closures and spill points, analysis of the seal capacity and degree of fill of the reservoir
- Definition and characterization of key subsurface uncertainties and risks to drive appraisal work program
- Subsurface data acquisition collected and analysed in time to influence key business decisions (declaration of commerciality and concept selection)
- Up-to-date integrated subsurface models developed and maintained to underpin well placement including all related discipline data and interpretation
- Safely planning and execution of appraisal wells supporting drilling activities
- Fulfilling BHP Billiton Exploration Assurance Process requirements for appraisal volume, risk and value
- Integration of geologic context with geophysical interpretation, scaling from plate to pore as needed
- Responsible for setting/achieving clear performance goals with Subsurface Manager in line with context of team priorities
- Master’s Degree or higher in relevant geoscience discipline
- 15+ years of relevant work experience
- Work experience as a geologist in the upstream petroleum industry
- Deepwater appraisal program definition
- Well planning and execution
- Project work within a multidisciplinary team
- Static model building
- Development of appraisal program objectives and operations, utilizing best practice workflows to assess field development potential
- Geologic integration of maps, well data and regional context to delineate and propose appraisal well locations based on petroleum systems understanding
- Familiarity with deepwater siliciclastic depositional settings and the impact of salt tectonics on depositional models
- Strong petrophysical skills combined with ability to integrate core and thin section data, ultimately to define appropriate formation evaluation programs
- Static modeling experience with conversion to probabilistic volumetric estimates of in-place hydrocarbons
- Ability to distinguish risk from uncertainty and uses these concepts appropriately in an appraisal setting
- Recognizes inconsistencies in subsurface data or interpretation; resolves or recommends action to resolve
- Communicates and clearly summarizes technical results and impact of analyses
- English required. – Spanish proficiency is an advantage
Supporting a diverse workforce
At BHP Billiton, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people.
We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options; a generous paid parental leave policy; other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the advertised close date.
We support flexible work at BHP Billiton. Talk to us about the flexible working options in this team
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
FEMALES, MINORITIES, VETERANS, DISABLED AND OTHER PROTECTED GROUPS