|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||June 13, 2017|
|Min. Years Experience Required||10|
Principal I - Geologist - Gas Field Studies
At BHP Billiton we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the role:
The Geologist on the Gas Field Studies Team will be an experienced, proven professional, responsible for completing complex geological assignments, conducting detailed reservoir characterization studies on our Gas Assets, and mentoring junior team members. The Field Studies team is tasked with evaluating static and dynamic data, optimizing existing and evaluating new horizons, and identifying production enhancement opportunities. The Geologist will be capable of completing and leading work independently, while working in a multidisciplinary team of Development Geologists and Subsurface Engineering teams to deliver successful results to the Production Unit.
This role is a grade 11 position.
BEHAVIORAL & LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
- Promotes, motivates and encourages a culture of technical inquiry
- Proactively acts with a sense of urgency to achieve professional results within agreed time frames
- Ability to succinctly communicate both deep geoscience understanding and BHPB's technical position to Management, Technical Staff and OBO partners
- Proactively shares information, supports corporate initiatives and contributes ideas in a collaborative team environment
- Comfortable multi-tasking. Applies knowledge and experience to solve complex issues and make sound decisions; Makes robust recommendations with imperfect data; remains flexible and applies good judgment when faced with ambiguity and uncertainty
- Solicits and quickly acts on received feedback, while proactively providing constructive feedback to directs and junior Geoscience staff
- Actively collaborates with the Geoscience Function, Subsurface Engineering, Central Engineering, Drilling and Completions, and PU staff on all geoscientific related matters including best practices and guidelines.
- Consistently strives for and maintains high standards of integrity and work product quality; treats everyone fairly and with respect
- Possess an overriding commitment to safety, inclusion and diversity, environmental responsibility, and sustainable development
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain, update, and improve existing geologic models and technically lead the Team’s ongoing reservoir characterization efforts.
- Work closely with a team of geologists, geophysicists, petrophysicists, and engineers to optimize short and long-term field development plans and strategies.
- Interpret and evaluate subsurface data (geologic, geophysical, D&C, engineering) to construct integrated displays, assess in-place resource ranges, and contribute to the development of Appraisal/Field Development plans of primary and alternative reservoirs.
- Collaborate with Functional Specialists (Geoscience Function, Central Engineering) on geological/subsurface related matters regularly.
- Contribute to the development and execution of integrated subsurface work plans.
- Assume a technical leadership role in project evaluation and execution
- Mentoring and provide on-the-job training of junior level Geoscientists on the team.
- Capture opportunities to apply new or improved geoscience technologies within the team
- Participate in HSE activities as required
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience in the upstream petroleum industry
- Master's Degree or higher in relevant geoscience discipline
- Good understanding of geoscience concepts and principles in own discipline and broad knowledge of other disciplines (i.e. reservoir and production engineering, drilling and completions)
- Experience in managing and integrating various forms of geologic data required
- Experience with reservoir characterization, geological modeling, and development planning in a production geoscience environment required
- Experience working unconventional development projects and/or producing assets an advantage
- Familiarity with deterministic and probabilistic assessment of in-place hydrocarbon resources, range analysis methods, and differentiating risk and uncertainty
- Familiarity with well planning and operations an advantage
- Working knowledge of Petrel and Studio tools strongly preferred
- Experience mentoring junior geoscience staff desired
Supporting a diverse workforce
At BHP Billiton, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people.
We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options; a generous paid parental leave policy; other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the advertised close date.
We support flexible work at BHP Billiton. Talk to us about the flexible working options in this team
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
FEMALES, MINORITIES, VETERANS, DISABLED AND OTHER PROTECTED GROUPS