|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||May 25, 2017|
|Min. Years Experience Required||10|
Principal Geologist I - GOM Exploration - Southern MexicoJob No. 792227 Work Type Full Time - Permanent Location US - Texas - Houston Categories Geology/Geología Published 25 May 2017 | Central Daylight Time Applications close 08 Jun 2017 | Central Daylight Time
At BHP Billiton we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the role
The Principal Geoscientist I on the Southern Mexico Regional Exploration Team will be an experienced, proven professional, with particular strength in Petroleum Systems at the regional scale. The Team is responsible for delivering integrated Play evaluations and making acreage access recommendations. Building internally consistent source rock and charge models using Trinity software and communicating the uncertainties in those models is the primary responsibility of this role. The Geoscientist will be capable of completing work independently in collaboration with the Team, and with the support of the Geoscience Function members.
This position is a grade 11 role.
In this role you will:
- Work closely with a team of geologists, geophysicists, and petrophysicists to build Play scale, Charge Source Potential and Charge Access Play maps consistent with the companies recognized work flows.
- Collaborate with Geoscience Function experts in source rock geochemistry to integrate rock and fluid data to build internally consistent maturity models and fluid predictions.
- Support the company’s global source rock database efforts.
- Build 1D heat flow models consistent with basin evolution.
- Create integrated source rock deposition maps in support of making source presence and richness interpretations.
- Build 2D and 3D pore pressure models to calculate effective stress in support of rock quality and column capacity estimates.
- Responsible for leading risk and volume estimates for the Charge elements at the Play and Lead scales.
- Present results to assurance and management.
- Meet all project schedules, deliverables, and subsurface milestones as outlined in subsurface work plans.
- Mentor early career team members and promote Petroleum Systems best practices.
- Be a contributing member of the Petroleum Systems Community of Excellence.
- Capture any opportunities to apply new or improved geoscience technologies within the team
- Participate in HSE and Continuous Improvement (CI) activities are required
- Minimum 10 years of relevant work experience in the upstream petroleum industry
- Master's Degree or higher in relevant geoscience discipline
- Experience required in integrating various forms of geologic data to make internally consistent source rock presence and maturation models.
- Basin evolution and heat flow modeling is a plus.
- Experience interpreting petroleum geochemistry of rock and fluids is a plus.
- Knowledge of well log evaluation methods is required.
- Experience interpreting well core source rock and fluid data is required.
- Experience with Trinity, Genesis, and/or Temis software is required.
- Seismic interpretation and well log correlation familiarity is required, preferably with DSG and/or Petrel.
- Familiar with basin evolution and depositional environment map construction.
- Familiarity with the southern Mexico (Campeche) petroleum system is ideal.
- Conventional exploration and/or producing assets experience is preferred
- Skilled integrator
- Skilled at crafting and delivering clear, concise technical presentations to both internal and external stakeholders.
- English required, Spanish is an advantage
Supporting a diverse workforce
At BHP Billiton, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people.
We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options; a generous paid parental leave policy; other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the advertised close date.
We support flexible work at BHP Billiton. Talk to us about the flexible working options in this team
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
FEMALES, MINORITIES, VETERANS, DISABLED AND OTHER PROTECTED GROUPS