|Location||Midland, United States|
|Date Posted||December 15, 2016|
|Min. Years Experience Required||15|
Apache Corporation is one of the world's leading independent oil and gas producers. The company has a six-decade record of profitable growth, and is differentiated by its #1 position around the world, entrepreneurial culture and deep operational focus.
Apache Permian Region is seeking a senior level petrophysicist, with a minimum of 15-20 years of relevant E&P company experience, to perform reservoir description and characterization studies, and to assist with all aspects of petrophysical operations. Significant Permian Basin experience is a prerequisite for the position. The petrophysicists are contributing members of a multidiscipline organization who work with geologists and reservoir engineers to develop new drilling opportunities and develop a strategic exploitation and business plan to capture these opportunities and add value. The successful candidate should be willing to relocate to Midland, Texas.
- The successful candidate will support exploration and production projects throughout the Permian Region via the integration of multidisciplinary datasets. These datasets include, but are not limited to, open- and cased-hole logs, core data, production log data, and geological and geophysical data (e.g., seismic rock properties)
- Working as part of cross-functional integrated teams, support logging operations, reservoir studies, and production performance evaluations focusing on efforts to optimize the development of reservoir operations and recovery
- Experience in both carbonate reservoirs and unconventional plays is also required
- Ability to design, manage, and interpret log and core data acquisition programs
- Working knowledge of production surveillance methods, such as PTA and RTA, familiarity of seismic rock properties workflows, and experience in pressure analysis for hydrodynamic studies including formation tests and fluid sample acquisition
- Image log processing and interpretation
- Participate in multidisciplinary projects and help present defendable business recommendations to senior management
KEY SUCCESS FACTORS:
- BS in Geology, Geophysics, or Engineering, and relevant experience Advanced degree preferred
- 15 to 20 years of relevant E&P company experience, as a log analyst or petrophysicist
- Significant experience in the Permian Basin
- The candidate should have experience leading and mentoring technical / project teams, and interacting closely with geoscientists and engineers.
- Must be willing to work in integrated teams and have the ability to interact effectively with geoscientists and reservoir, operations, drilling and facilities engineers
- The candidate should have strong geoscience workstation and software skills, including experience and proficiency using Interactive Petrophysics (IP), Geolog, Powerlog or the equivalent (Apache has standardized on IP).
- The candidate should be familiar with pressure transient testing, fluid characterization modeling, material balance applications, production surveillance techniques, and some economic analysis.
- Familiarity with advanced methods of post core retrieval handling and analysis techniques
- Demonstrated ability to design logging programs in complex reservoir systems, maximizing data acquisition
- Must be able to work under pressure and provide input in short project time lines
PRIMARY SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES (TECHNICAL & LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES):
- Advanced level of petrophysical expertise
- Expert knowledge of conventional and unconventional reservoirs and their analysis
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written - able to work well with field personnel, geoscience team, peers, management and stakeholders
- Ability to make technically and economically sound recommendations with incomplete information essential
- Excellent project management skills.
- Able to prioritize multiple projects, organize work, engage in a variety of tasks simultaneously and consistently meet deadlines
- High degree of initiative and independent judgment
- Strong analytical and problem solving abilities.
- Capability to perform duties with a high level of accuracy
- Ability to organize work, engage in a variety of tasks simultaneously and consistently meet deadlines
- Strong personal computer skills
- Capable of directing the work of others and being directed as required