|Date Posted||July 19, 2017|
Operating from within the Petroleum and Gas Geoscience unit of the Geological Survey of Queensland, you will contribute to the identification and assessment of the state’s petroleum and gas resources. This includes participation in technical studies, acreage releases, and the development and delivery of exploration programs. You will also provide technical support for the management of geoscience, engineering, and operational information collected from the petroleum industry through reporting.
Job detailsJob type Temporary Full-time Occupational group Sciences Classification PO3 Workplace Location Brisbane Inner City Job ad reference QLD/248091/17 Closing date 03-Aug-2017 Yearly salary $76827 - $83903 Fortnightly salary $2944.80 - $3216.00 Job duration 3 years with possible extension Contact person Justin Gorton Contact details PH: (07) 3096 6213
Key Duties and Accountabilities
Apply general knowledge and concepts of basin and petroleum systems analysis to assist with determining the following:
The mechanisms and timing of basin-forming events, tectonic evolution, and structural architecture;
the depositional rates and methods of sedimentary accumulation with identification of key lithotypes, lithofacies, and environments of deposition along with the delineation and correlation of lithostratigraphic and chronostratigraphic units;
the application of sequence stratigraphy for development of paleogeographic reconstructions;
the identification and characterisation of reservoir and source rock intervals and;
the methods and timing for hydrocarbon generation, migration, and entrapment.
Interpretation of geological, geophysical, and petrophysical data sets collected from industry and through government work programs.
Identification or development of play concepts, delineation of play fairways, and mapping or modeling of play characteristics. Produce or support provision of maps for key structural horizons and source/reservoir characteristics.
Assessment of petroleum and gas resources, including the delivery of deterministic and/or probabilistic estimates of in-place and technically recoverable volumes.
Assist with the development and execution of technical studies and exploration programs in collaboration with industry, universities, and/or other research organisations. Provide support for project management including preparation of project plans and supervision/administration of scope, contractors, budget and schedule.
• Continuously builds knowledge, keeping up-to-date on the professional/technical procedural aspects of their job.
• Willingly shares knowledge with others.
• Applies professional and occupational knowledge to immediate work tasks.
Technology & Systems
• Applies computer applications for use in more complex tasks.
• Supports the implementation of system improvements and enhancements and the introduction of new technologies.
• Able to plan effectively, making optimum use of time and resources to successfully manage individual output by prioritising a broad range of tasks and focusing on key issues.
Teamwork & Collaboration
• Works cooperatively within a team and is able to integrate work across multi-functions effectively.
• Understands the needs of team members and shares information to assist with coordination of work between areas.
• Actively listens and takes a problem solving approach to difficult situations.
• Constructs easy to read logical and fact based arguments, decisions and recommendations based on understanding, research and analysis.
• Applies an understanding of freedom of information and privacy obligations when drafting correspondence and reports.
• Develops presentations suitable for a range of audiences and settings.
Mandatory Requirements or Special Conditions
• Degree from a recognised tertiary institution in Geology or Earth Sciences or an acceptable equivalent qualification as determined by the Director-General.
• At least five years effective working experience with particular emphasis on petroleum geoscience.
• Experience with software for geographic information systems such as ArcGIS and interpretive software packages such as Kingdom, Petrosys, and Geolog is highly desirable.
• The applicant must be willing to travel to field areas for extended periods as required.
Applications to remain current for 12 months.
Please ensure you download all attachments and follow the instructions on how to apply.