|Date Posted||September 15, 2017|
Geological Survey of NSW
Job Title: Petroleum Exploration Geologist
Job Grade / Classification: Grade 2
The Department of Planning & Environment is the lead NSW Government agency in planning for a growing NSW.
The Department’s vision – Planning for growing NSW: inspiring strong communities, protecting our environment – provides the benchmark for our partnership and leadership approach to engaging and working collaboratively with key State and Local Government, community and industry stakeholders to deliver better outcomes in the areas of planning, local government and the environment
About the role: Petroleum Exploration Geologist
This is a frontline role to assist with the regional and specific evaluation of potential petroleum systems through undertaking basin/state-wide assessments of petroleum resources and to promote exploration in NSW. Activities range from locating and assessing existing data, exploration project development and execution, interpretation of acquired data and the dissemination of the data and interpretations to the broader scientific and industrial community.
- Minimum (5) years of experience in oil and gas exploration and development, with a proven track record of success in exploration projects from conception to development.
- Experience using Kingdom, Petrel, ArcGIS, Petrolog or Geolog and Microsoft Office.
- Bachelor's Degree with Honors in geology from an accredited university.
Please click here to view role description.
Role status: This constitutes temporary employment under section 43 of the Government Sector Employment Act 2013.
A recruitment pool may be created for future ongoing and temporary vacancies and is valid for a period of up to 12 months.
Eligibility: To be eligible to apply for temporary and/or ongoing employment within the Department of Planning & Environment, candidates must be an Australian citizen or have the status of permanent residence in Australia.
Benefits: At the Department of Planning and Environment, we offer employees challenging and rewarding work with opportunities for career progression, learning and development, and flexibility. We provide comprehensive staff training through structured programs and provide study assistance to staff pursuing work-related courses.
The Wellness Program has been established to support and promote health and wellness in the workplace. We have partnered with Live Life Get Active who provide free outdoor fitness camps every day for interested employees!
Our Commitment to Diversity: The Department of Planning and Environment values diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all ages and genders, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, culturally and linguistically diverse groups and those with disability.
- Provide your personal information as prompted
- Attach your resume that sets out your education, work history and other facts about yourself that relate to the role (maximum of 4 pages);
- Attach a cover letter that is relevant to the role (maximum of 1 page).
- Complete all the questions in the online application. Two of the questions will require you to provide specific examples from your experience (4000 character limit per question). These questions are shown below. Do not address these in your cover letter.
1. Describe your role, achievements and outcomes of an assessment of the petroleum potential/resource on either existing exploration acreage or to formulate a bid for new exploration acreage. Elaborate on how this process was achieved, specifically, which components of a petroleum system were evaluated in outlining the presence of hydrocarbons and why.
2. Outline the factors you would consider in designing and developing a suitable phased exploration program to acquire pre-competitive data to improve the understanding of petroleum resources in Western NSW, including the potential for new discoveries to current and future petroleum explorers.
Applications must be lodged electronically via http://www.iworkfor.nsw.gov.au/ website.
Should you encounter any issues submitting your application online, please contact iworkfornsw helpdesk on 1800 562 679.