|Date Posted||January 30, 2018|
To provide consultancy and carry out specialist studies in stratigraphy and micropalaeontology for PDO Exploration and Production assets in close cooperation with other Geological Services teams, incorporating external data and participating in relevant business decisions. Provide specialist micropalaeontology in-house training and courses.
• Supervise PDO’s state-of-the-art sample processing laboratory and train technical staff in sample processing techniques.
• Undertake detailed micropalaeontological analysis, including thin-section analysis, delivering high quality data and consequently well-considered stratigraphic interpretation.
• Provide specialist support and advice to Exploration and Production customers on request or through own initiative.
• Plan, define, monitor, QC and close-out stratigraphy projects either internally or with external support, including budgeting and cost control.
• Identify stratigraphic related problems and improvement opportunities and technologies.
• Provide stratigraphic support to drilling operations.
• Conduct specialist studies as part of integrated projects, play a leading role in defining the scope and deliverables of such studies.
• Provide expert input in stratigraphic (correlation) risk issues as part of the exploration process.
• Provide expert input for all production related stratigraphic/correlation issues, being field production / operation and/or enhanced oil recovery studies.
• Manage quality control of contractor specialist studies.
• Timely provision of required data.
• Maintain an effective communication with customers; present study findings on a regular basis; identify and discuss possible new projects.
• Interface with research laboratories and other institutions and companies, to support the introduction of new technology/systems to benefit the business and to maximise the leverage to be gained from technology, R&D activities and external/internal projects, on the basis of an assessment of critical success factors and cost/benefit considerations.
• Contribute to skills development of all staff, coaching associated staff, promote on the job training for Omani staff to develop the required skills aiding Omanisation.
• Meet HSE responsibilities as cascaded through the exploration department.
• PhD/M.Sc. in Micropalaeontology with minimum of 7 years experience as a stratigrapher/palaeontologist in a commercial environment (oil and gas operator and/or service company/consultant).
• Expert understanding of biostratigraphy methods, principles and applications.
• Extensive laboratory sample preparation experience and expertise.
• Expert understanding of Mesozoic and Cenozoic micropalaeontology, systematics and taxonomy.
• Demonstrates coaching skills gained from 'on the job' training of junior staff.
• Ability to integrate relevant stratigraphy subsurface data to derive a stratigraphic framework.
• Ideally knowledge of Oman/Arabia regional geology and stratigraphy.
• Good understanding of exploration and development business issues/drivers.
• Be able to champion and implement new technology and develop and disseminate good practices procedures.
• Innovative, able to manage demands and expectations from various stakeholders and accept diverse opinions.
• Good interpersonal skills are required to effectively work across teams, organizational boundaries and cultures. The implementation of new technology and best practices is required. Understand cost challenges whilst being able to convince stakeholders that investing in and application of new technology is a prerequisite for asset performance improvement.
• Demonstrate working in an environment in which there is not always enough data and no clear right or wrong answers.