|Location||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||February 28, 2017|
|Must Already Have Work Rights||Yes|
Aberdeen - (Discovery House)
A global energy leader with an exciting future
Nexen is responsibly developing energy resources in some of the world’s most significant basins including the UK North Sea, Western Canada, the United States and offshore West Africa. As a wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen has three principal businesses: conventional oil and gas, oil sands, and shale gas.
At Nexen, our culture of accountability is key to delivering superior results. Underpinning this culture is a set of beliefs that drive company-wide behaviours around safety, collaboration, innovation and striving to exceed expectations every day. If you share these values, we want you to join our team.
With a robust portfolio of assets, we need high-performing employees who strive for continuous improvement and the chance to share in our future success. Your valued contributions are rewarded with a competitive compensation and benefits package including training that will open doors to your future.
Location & Business Unit Overview
Discovery House, Aberdeen
Support geophysical activities for the Scott Area Development and ensure high quality and timely deliverables. Provide support to the asset for all geophysical aspects, including, but not limited to, FDP well planning & execution, infill well planning, seismic interpretation, depth-conversion, generation of maps, structural frameworks, seismic attributes to guide static geomodel builds, volumetric estimates, risks analysis, uncertainty analysis and lookback analysis.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Good ideas – a good geophysicist will not only do the necessary day to day tasks, but will think of the key issues that underpin the field. He/she will continuously strive to understand limitations of the existing data and look for opportunities to improve reservoir imaging, interpretation of key reservoir horizons and faults, depth uncertainty and integration with regional mapping.
Communication – it is the responsibility of the Geophysicist to ensure timely communication of the status of geophysical issues and studies to Lead Geophysicist and team members. The Geophysicist ensures the use of appropriate tools and skills to clearly communicate often complex geoscience concepts.
Tasks – the Geophysicist will be expected to drive high quality analysis and ensure timely delivery of geophysical tasks to an agreed standard. There should be no exceptions to this rule. Although time is often limited, any task should be performed to a minimum standard and this should not be compromised. Typical tasks include:
- Supporting, and occasionally leading, seismic interpretation projects and integration of both regional and asset focussed reservoir data. Deliver high quality maps for use in field development and well planning.
- A critical aspect to the geophysicist role is the estimation and distribution of GRV. This requires the integration of time, velocity and depth geophysical data and work closely with the geologists employed in both deterministic and probabilistic assessments.
- Description of the structural style definition observed on seismic data, stress regime, and the potential influence of structure on reservoir presence and quality
- Well planning. Work closely with the geologists to prepare well prognosis for drilling and identify any potential geotechnical uncertainties, risks or hazards to the Drilling Engineers.
- Well planning. The value of future wells should be estimated in close collaboration with the rest and the team, in particular the Reservoir Engineering community.
- Uncertainty analysis: any significant project should be considered in a probabilistic manner. Ranges should always be considered; use of probabilistic tools such as Crystal Ball or GEOX is encouraged. Provide statistically evaluated parameter ranges for input to probabilistic assessments. The concepts of Decision Analysis need to be understood and the use of decision trees and explicit definition of risk factors is encouraged.
- Present to JV partners, management and other as required.
Education & Experience
- Undergraduate or post-graduate degree in Geology or Geoscience subject or equivalent required.
- Post graduate Geoscience qualification preferred.
- Proven industry track record of delivering high quality technical work essential
- Experience in leading projects and coaching mentoring other members of staff is desirable
- Affiliation to professional body e.g. EAGE, SEG, PESGB is desirable
- Robust knowledge and understanding of the upstream oil and gas business model
- Broad knowledge of G+G, petrophysics, reservoir engineering and production engineering
- Detailed knowledge and / or experience of the following:
- Fundamentals of seismic interpretation
- Principles in seismic acquisition & processing
- Basic structural geology and structural geology principles
- Techniques for mapping and predicting reservoir presence and quality
- Geotechnical Risk and Uncertainty analysis
- Operational, offshore experience would be desirable. In any case an understanding of the offshore environment is essential.
- Ability to work within a team in a positive, friendly, non-confrontational manner, but also able to challenge the conventional wisdom in a logical and non-threatening way.
- Able to balance short term urgent assignments with longer term important assignments
- Displays honesty, integrity and a strong sense of ethics in all decision and actions, role-models the “values”, and displays a strong personal commitment to upholding the highest standards of HSE
- Strong oral, listening and written communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver timely results, coupled with individual drive and self starting initiative and the ability to work in a fast paced environment without compromising integrity
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Personal commitment to organisational and technical excellence
- Flexibility and learning capacity
Click the “Apply for Job” button to start the application process.
No agency or telephone inquiries please.
Only applicants who are authorized to work in the UK, without company sponsorship, on a full-time, permanent basis will be considered.
Applicants who are authorized to work in the UK indefinitely without company sponsorship will be given first consideration.
Relocation assistance will not be provided for this position.