|Date Posted||October 22, 2017|
High Performance Computing (HPC) in Shell is used extensively in the Upstream part of the business (seismic processing, reservoir modeling, and R&D;). Shell is actively exploring for hydrocarbons across the globe. HPC is an enabling technology for many Shell businesses, Joint Ventures and Operating Units.
The HPC Services (HPCS) group in Shell provides HPC infrastructure services globally to Shell, with staff based in Houston (USA), the Hague (Netherlands), Malaysia (MY), and Bangalore (IN). The HPCS team brings business value with innovative, agile, reliable and secure operational HPC services.
An HPC Production Engineer focuses on administrating the hardware and systems software used for High Performance Computing. This includes; keeping existing hardware running reliably and securely either, directly or by working with other teams, testing and installing new hardware and system software, and decommissioning old hardware. In this role, you will work with colleagues and users across Shell globally. The HPC environment within Shell is constantly changing as we adapt to evolving business needs with innovative solutions and reliable services to our Shell customers. The global nature and large scale use of HPC within Shell provide a challenging and exciting work environment.
- Administration of servers, storage and/or network hardware and system software
- Compliance with information risk management policies
- Compliance with change control policies
- Monitoring and tuning of HPC environments
- Producing and maintaining technical documentation
- Sharing knowledge with other staff to ensure business continuity
Dimensions and Special Challenges
- No direct reports.
- Virtual working in a global environment with culturally diverse teams. Managing multiple delivery priorities and multiple demand requests.
- Working with multiple stakeholders in various organizations.
- Secure and Reliable operations are of the upmost importance. This position must focus on ensuring availability, reliability, and supportability within a high performing team.
- Desire career minded individual interested in stable long term employment
Qualifications and Skills
Job Skills and Experience Requirements: (5-8 yrs experience in a Linux environment)
- Significant HPC hardware experience
- Strong technical skills in some of the following areas:
- Programming and scripting skills: shell scripting, Perl, Python, etc.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.x and above image creation and installation
- Red Hat Satellite use and support
- Luster Storage installation and support
- Ethernet and InfiniBand fabrics design and support
- Information Risk Management policy development and compliance checking in a Linux environment
- Self-starter with good analysis and problem solving skills
- Strong team player and communicator, able to work well in a distributed work environment
- Openly share knowledge in a collaborative manner
- Knowledge of support processes, ITIL – Incident and Change Management
- Strong stakeholder, communications and interpersonal skills (via email, phone, IM)
- Proven ability to deliver results vis influencing and team working
- Ability to operate in a virtual cross cultural organization
- Ability to deal with conflict and ambiguity effectively
- Ability to handle concurrent tasks with appropriate priority
- Strong relationship skills; work well with multiple stakeholders across organizational boundaries
- Graduate or relevant experience in High Performance Computing industry
- Experience guiding or leading project activities
- Strong understanding of the IT business environment will be advantageous
- Experience within the Oil/ Gas industry