|Location||Ohio, United States|
|Date Posted||January 13, 2017|
Geoscientist in Columbus, Ohio
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Our Energy group in the Infrastructure & Environment Business Unit specializes in providing innovative approaches to solving difficult problems in the areas of oil and gas exploration and production and using or storing carbon dioxide generated during energy production and use. We use advanced earth science tools, methods, and models to characterize geologic systems for the oil and gas industry and for long term storage of CO2, including enhanced hydrocarbon recovery. Our clients include large and small oil and gas companies, engineering companies, electric utilities, and federal and state governments.
Our Energy group is currently seeking a Geoscientist. This position is located in Columbus, Ohio.
As a Geoscientist, the selected individual will provide geosystems analysis under the guidance of more senior geoscientists and engineers. Work will be with our oil and gas exploration and production, carbon utilization and storage programs. Examples of responsibilities based on current or anticipated projects include:
- Analysis of wireline data, focusing on lithologic interpretation, porosity determination, and permeability estimation from basic logging suites.
- Interpretation of advanced wireline logs such as image logs, nuclear magnetic resonance, elemental spectroscopy logs and dipole sonic logs.
- Screening of potential production and storage fields and estimate available capacity through assessment of seismic surveys and deep well logs
- Assist in performing reservoir characterization studies and testing activities for oil and gas exploration and production and CO2 storage application
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- BS degree in geology, geologic science, earth science, geophysics or closely related discipline
- Knowledge (i.e. coursework, internship, and/or undergraduate/graduate research), with one or more of the following:
- Structural Geology
- Basic wireline logs
- Advanced wireline logs
- Cased hole logs
- Core analysis
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with ability to represent Battelle or its clients at conferences or public forums
- 0-2 years experience in geologic assessments for the oil and gas industry or CO2 storage and utilization programs
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- MS degree in geology, geologic science, earth science, geophysics or closely related discipline
- Coursework including Seismology, Structural Geology, GIS, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Calculus and/or Technical Writing
- Internship or other experience in the oil and gas industry
- Hands-on experience with geologic analysis and integration software suites, such as PETREL, PETRA, Kingdom, Geographix or ArcGIS
- Experience in the Appalachian Basin, Michigan Basin and/or the Illinois Basin
- Awareness of carbon sequestration
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected classes covered under federal or applicable state and local law. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.