|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||May 12, 2017|
Subsurface Team Lead
At BHP Billiton we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the role:
The Geoscience Manager is an integral member of the Central Geoscience Leadership Team and is responsible for managing the Geological Business Support (GBS) team of technical specialists in the fields of Biostratigraphy, Stratigraphy, Petrography, Structural Geology, Geochemistry and Petroleum Systems. The Geoscience Manager is responsible for resourcing geoscience specialist support across all Petroleum Assets, and for ensuring projects are delivered according to BHP Billiton Corporate and Petroleum standards, policies and practices.
The position reports directly to the Vice President of Central Geoscience and is a grade 12 role.
In this role you will:
- Provide an overriding commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility and sustainable development and adhere to HSEC Policy and Management Standards and BHP Billiton Corporate Guide to Business Conduct
- As the primary point-of-contact for Geoscience specialist support, establish and maintain strong relationships with Geoscience Managers in the Business to ensure a shared understanding of technical priorities and related geoscience specialist resourcing needs.
- Proactively collaborate with Geoscience Managers and Heads of Geoscience to align on and ensure the appropriate deployment of geoscience specialist skills to deliver the required scope and schedule of geoscience work across the Petroleum business.
- Support daily Geological Operations with the required wellsite/remote biostratigraphy, geochemistry and rock analysis (petrography, sedimentology, and stratigraphy) support.
- Work with Geoscience Managers and Heads of Geoscience to identify, document and champion geoscience best practice.
- In collaboration with CoE-led efforts, contribute to development of training/course materials within the relevant geoscience specialist sub-disciplines.
- Provide leadership and foster teamwork in order to motivate GBS staff and foster a safe-to-speak-up work environment.
- Establish work systems and practices that maximize opportunities for GBS staff to achieve job satisfaction and contribute effectively.
- Lead GBS staff’s career development and succession planning activities.
- Assist as needed with recruiting and hiring of experienced staff and graduates/interns.
- Meet the business’s ongoing project resourcing requirements, deliverables and schedule per agreed project frames.
- Maintain an overall GBS project resourcing plan for optimal deployment of geoscience specialist support across the Petroleum business.
- Upstream petroleum industry experience
- Good working knowledge of E&P processes, including regional studies, play fairway analysis to prospect maturation, volumetrics, risk and uncertainty assessment, development and production activities
- Experience in managing multi-disciplinary teams preferred
- Experience managing complex project scopes of work and a track record of delivery
- Superior collaboration and stakeholder management skills required
- Familiarity with a range of geoscience interpretation software would be advantageous
- Good technical communicator (written and spoken), with excellent influencing skills
- BSc (honors) or MSc degree in geoscience discipline required.
Supporting a diverse workforce
At BHP Billiton, we recognise that we are strengthened by diversity. We are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and we encourage applications from women and Indigenous people.
We know there are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options; a generous paid parental leave policy; other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the advertised close date.
We support flexible work at BHP Billiton. Talk to us about the flexible working options in this team
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
FEMALES, MINORITIES, VETERANS, DISABLED AND OTHER PROTECTED GROUPS