|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||September 13, 2016|
Occidental Petroleum Corporation (NYSE: OXY) is an international oil and gas exploration and production company, and its OxyChem subsidiary is a major North American chemical manufacturer. We are one of the largest U.S. oil and gas companies, based on equity market capitalization, with more than 40,000 employees and contractors worldwide. Our greatest asset has been and will continue to be our people. We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Geoscience Data Lead within our Permian EOR group based in Houston, TX.
Essential Job Duties:
The Business Unit Geoscience Data Lead (GDL) primary responsibility is for coordinating the subsurface technical data related tasks in the Permian EOR Business Unit (PEOR BU) and providing leadership and coordination to a team of Geoscience Technicians (Geotechs). This position draws on the experience and capabilities of an individual to understand and support complex business processes, geological and geophysical data, data flows and technical applications including Landmark products (OpenWorks, SeisWorks, ZMapPlus, Geograhix), ArcGIS, and Petrel. The GDL will actively support the definition of common technical data, data flow and process standards in alignment with customer requirements. The GDL will be an advocate in ensuring BU compliance with the approved standards with an overall objective of helping the company achieve excellence and sustainability in technical data quality and management.
As a working lead, the GDL will also be expected to provide high quality well and geologic data for analysis. Responsibilities will include database input, manipulation, and retrieval while ensuring quality control and resolving any data conflicts. They should have the skills to move data between software platforms efficiently and accurately. Mapping in various software packages, seismic data loading, well trajectory input, log data quality control and loading, and datum transformations are common job tasks. An understanding of fundamental geoscience principles is required.
• Coordinate overall geoscience data management support required by the Business Unit
• Provide leadership for and coordinate service delivery from the Geotech team
• Work with the other PEOR BU technical data leads to ensure consistent processes and high quality data.
• Collaborate with Corporate Data Management Team in the development and support of best practices in the area of Subsurface Data Management and ensure alignment in BU and Corporate data, process and technology standards and strategic direction
• Keep abreast of industry trends in the space of geoscience data management
Provide Tech support, including:
• Provide data, information, and data management support to operations PEORBU geoscientists, engineers and management
• Become the expert in locating, correcting and validating technical data to increase the quality of data and integrity across systems
• Drive data quality management within the business units by actively monitoring and QA/QC of subsurface data
• Drive utilization of trusted systems of record (SOR) by promoting appropriate data flow from SOR to Master DBs to Project Applications, where appropriate, to enable technical data quality sustainability
• Ongoing maintenance and analysis of key calculations and reporting logic for identified Key Performance Indicators (KPI)
• Technical data management subject matter expertise with excellent knowledge of data loading techniques commonly used in Oil and Gas
• Proficient with technical applications pertaining to specific job responsibilities (i.e. G&G, RE, Petrophysics, Seismic, Well Maintenance, Production Evaluation, Data Visualization, Reporting Tools etc.)
• Understanding of data standards, data flows, technical requirements and strategic direction relating to technical disciplines (Drilling, Completions, Petrophysics, etc…), BUs and Corporate Data Management
• Familiarity with industry software Landmark products (OpenWorks, SeisWorks, ZMapPlus, Geograhix), ArcGIS, and Petrel
• Proficiency in MS Office suite, including Access, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
• Familiarity with extracting data from external sources (IHS Enerdeq, TGS, state websites) including quality control and reconciliation with internal data sources
• Good understanding of the fundamentals of geoscience and the petroleum industry
• Ability to manage large data projects, mentor and direct a team and interface with outside contractors, and deliver results
• Leadership and influencing capabilities to effectively coordinate, mentor and lead Geotechs
• Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work as part of a multidisciplinary team
• Effective team player who takes an active role in team and corporate data management initiatives
• Strong time management skills
• Ability to work with minimum supervision and manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Self-driven individual that is results oriented and can deliver on commitments
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Geoscience or related field or equivalent experience
• Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a fulltime basis.
Oxy is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Individual with Disability/Veteran Status
- Operations Support
- United States-Texas-Houston