|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||March 17, 2017|
|Min. Years Experience Required||15|
|Must Already Have Work Rights||Yes|
A global energy leader with an exciting future
Nexen is responsibly developing energy resources in some of the world’s most significant basins including the UK North Sea, Western Canada, the United States and offshore West Africa. As a wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen has three principal businesses: conventional oil and gas, oil sands, and shale gas.
At Nexen, our culture of accountability is key to delivering superior results. Underpinning this culture is a set of beliefs that drive company-wide behaviours around safety, collaboration, innovation and striving to exceed expectations every day. If you share these values, we want you to join our team.
With a robust portfolio of assets, we need high-performing employees who strive for continuous improvement and the chance to share in our future success. Your valued contributions are rewarded with a competitive compensation and benefits package including training that will open doors to your future.
The Global Exploration New Ventures team is responsible for acreage growth for Nexen-CNOOC within the overall Global Exploration and International Development (GEAID) organization. This is typically achieved through Farm-ins and Bid Rounds, which have been targeted through regional work and basin mastery. The New Ventures team is Global in scope with offices in Calgary, Houston and Uxbridge, and has close ties to CNOOC International in Beijing.
Working within a small fast-paced team, this role will be responsible for providing high end geophysical support within our subsurface evaluations. The role reports to the Manager – New Ventures, South America, and will be working closely with the New Ventures team and managers, exploration teams and other functional groups.
A key focus within GEAID is Safety. As a senior member of the team, a commitment to being a role model for safety is expected. The safety of both people and projects take a top priority and should be led by example through all levels of management. This will be facilitated by placing high importance on safety and regulatory compliance in all GEAID activities.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Technical capability, communication and collaboration are the three main qualities required for this fast-paced opportunity evaluation team. The candidate will be responsible for contributing geophysical interpretations that integrate effectively with geology, geochemistry and GIS to produce top quality subsurface technical evaluations. The New Ventures team is focused on building a portfolio through acreage additions in core countries, as well as new country entries through farm-ins and bid rounds. To do so, the candidate will excel in the following responsibilities:
- Maintain a focus on HSE performance though the exploration process by being aware of the HSE impact of various exploration decisions;
- Be a technical expert in the fields of international deepwater seismic acquisition, processing and 2D & 3D interpretation, both structural and quantitative;
- Deliver fit for purpose, timely geophysical products for use in opportunity evaluation, using seismic interpretation, well-seismic ties, time-to-depth conversion, AVO and DHI analysis, pore pressure analysis and other geophysical tools;
- Balance short term data room evaluations with long term regional work;
- Achieve basin mastery in the countries and areas of focus;
- Generate Common Risk Segment maps;
- Collaborate with all necessary parts of the organization to develop appropriate technical work programs;
- Work with the Global Exploration Technical Assurance groups to plan and carry out technical reviews, and ensure appropriate Nexen and CNOOC HQ involvement in reviews;
- Participate as a technical or stage gate reviewer as appropriate;
- Build effective relationships with colleagues within the Global Exploration group, the wider GEAID organization, Nexen and CNOOC HQ;
- Foster knowledge sharing between project teams across GEAID organization;
- Technically mentor more junior staff;
- Attend conferences, and build and maintain vendor relationships;
- Become recognized as a partner of choice through the quality of work produced and a high level of interpersonal skills
Education & Experience
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in geoscience with a strong preference for Masters level qualification in geophysics;
- Over 15 years in the oil & gas industry with significant experience in the geophysical aspects of front end exploration work in offshore and onshore global basins;
- Regional and innovative thinker open to new play concepts;
- Widely recognized for technical and integration skills;
- Good understanding of the commercial and organizational environment;
- Broad exposure to diverse subsurface aspects of new venture, development and production projects for a variety of environments and reservoir types;
- Outstanding team work and communications skills;
The nature of the position requires a candidate with initiative, collegiality and professionalism. The candidate’s personal style will enable them to:
- Relate well to people, inspire trust, and work effectively with team members;
- Be an independent critical thinker and creative problem solver;
- Be comfortable with ambiguity and have the ability to navigate uncertainty;
- Be highly organized and detail-oriented, with the ability to keep multiple projects and partner engagements active at once;
- Be recognized for their communication and collaboration skills by those they contact in our different teams and business units;
- Challenge openly but respectfully and constructively, in a way that resolves difficult issues;
- Demonstrate a proven track record of excelling in the 8 Nexen cultural beliefs and continuous improvement that led to OE2 results;
- Adapt to an evolving industry and company, with awareness of the opportunities and challenges that come with the current business climate.
Who May Apply
Applicants who are authorized to work in the U.S. indefinitely without company sponsorship will be given first consideration.
How To Apply
Nexen Energy Services U.S.A. Inc., an affiliate of OOGC America LLC, is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. EEO/Affirmative Action employer / Principals Only / No phone calls please.
Only resumes of candidates being considered will be acknowledged.
If you do not have access to the Internet or need accommodation submitting your resume, you may mail your resume to:
Nexen Energy Services U.S.A. Inc.
945 Bunker Hill, Suite 1000
Houston, TX 77024