|Location||Midland, United States|
|Date Posted||June 18, 2017|
|Min. Years Experience Required||3|
The Geophysicist will work under direct supervision to support the operations team, conduct hazard avoidance studies, generate and update depth models, evaluate and optimize well plans from the development geologists, and work as a liaison between the development and operations teams. The Geophysicist will also work with the development and operations team on asset optimization studies and science programs to improve landing zone efficiency and well performance. The Geophysicist is expected to be competent in basic geophysical techniques, to receive training in more specialized approaches and handle assignments of a moderate scope and under the direction of more senior Geophysicist.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Perform pre-drill analysis in support of operations and provide daily updates for operations team
- Create and update depth volumes for well planning and tracking
- Integrate well planning from development team with operations and drilling teams
- Utilize products from Petrel Earth Model for well planning purposes
- Assist in identification, collection and integration of science program to support operations team and improve well performance
- Assist in the integration of subsurface data (seismic, magnetic, gravity, open hole, core, …) into regional and prospect-specific interpretations, including facies interpretation and geological controls on reservoir distribution
- Understand and interpret regional geophysical and geological models of petroleum systems
- Synthesize surface and subsurface geophysical data with log correlations to generate cross-section and maps
- Conduct business with the highest ethical standards; demonstrate decision-making skills that ensure the safety of all persons associated with SM facilities
- Other duties as assigned
Solid level of skill in Microsoft Office. Solid understanding and utilization of geological mapping software (Geographix, PETRA) and their interface with seismic interpretation software, and Geo-steering software. Solid understanding and utilization of geophysical software applications such as Kingdom Suite, Petrel and/or similar interpretation software.
Role-Specific Technical Knowledge & Skills:
Command of fundamental geophysical principles; modeling, interpretation, data acquisition, data processing, data loading. General understanding of geological principles, techniques and theories. Good understanding of tight oil, shale plays and unconventional reservoirs. Ability to work with a mentor and think independently on prospect generation. Ability and desire to gain geo-steering experience. Demonstrates understanding of a single basin/resource play.
M.S. degree in Geology or Geophysics required
Minimum of 3 years of experience in Exploration/Exploitation Geophysics or Geology