|Location||Midland, United States|
|Date Posted||July 6, 2016|
|Min. Years Experience Required||5|
Primary purpose: Kinder Morgan CO2 company is currently seeking a Geologist to support our CO2 asset team that operates the Goldsmith-Landreth San Andres Unit, West Texas, by providing sound geologic interpretations, providing technical leadership within asset teams, and contributing technical products and expertise to integrate field-scale geologic and reservoir simulation models. The Geologist will work in a team environment with reservoir and production engineers in Midland and coordinate modeling efforts with simulation engineers, geophysicists, and other geosciences staff in the Houston office. The position is based in Midland, Texas.
Essential duties and responsibilities: The successful candidate will be responsible for the following: (1) Provide geologic interpretations to optimize economic recovery from the GLSAU property and develop expansion programs, (2) Interpret core and log data to construct reservoir cross sections and mapping, (3) Integrate geologic interpretations into geocellular models and reservoir simulations, (4) Identify reservoir targets and work with team to plan wells (vertical and horizontal), (5) Evaluate potential of new acreage and leases, (6) Justify seismic data acquisition and provide interpretation, (7) Provide technical due-diligence in evaluation of business development opportunities. The candidate will be expected to frequently present findings to management, clearly articulate (and defend) recommended courses of action, and be able to align with EHS, technical and business drivers.
-- Provide technical leadership in geologic interpretation and understanding for CO2 flood project operation, expansion, appraisal and design.
– Assist in design and evaluation of expansion EOR projects and estimation of potential EOR recoveries.
– Co-develop and support a consistent reservoir management strategy.
– Provide daily guidance to Geo Tech
– Master of Science Degree in Geosciences or related field from an accredited College or University.
Experience / specific knowledge:
– Currently residing in or willing to move to Midland, TX.
– 5+ years of experience in CO2 or mature waterflooding in the Permian Basin.
– Subsurface mapping, from regional to detailed local scales.
– Construction of sequence stratigraphic interpretations incorporating well, seismic, and production data.
– Work with geophysicist to incorporate 2D and 3D seismic interpretations including structure, sequence stratigraphy, regional mapping, and attribute analysis.
– Core description and facies interpretation tying facies to sequence stratigraphy.
– Integration of petrophysical interpretations of image logs and effective reservoir properties.
– Close involvement with building, up scaling, and history-matching geocellular / flow simulation models.
– Geostatistical reservoir modeling and other uncertainty modeling.
– Familiarity with modern reservoir characterization techniques.
Certifications, licenses, registrations:
Competencies, skills, and abilities:
– Excellent communication skills for presenting technical ideas and concepts to technical and non-technical audiences.
– Strong interpersonal skills for interfacing with multifunctional teams and management on multiple projects.
– Provide well coordinates to Operations and Drilling personnel.
– Ability to work in fast-paced environment and follow work rules.
– Strong project management skills with the ability to clearly define objectives and activities as well as the importance of measuring results.
– Demonstrate initiative, problem solving skills, attention to detail and value others work.
– Take direction from supervisors, prioritize concurrent work demands, and track results.
– Ability to work in a team, desire and willingness to share knowledge and mentor engineers and geologists.
– Predominantly office environment, some travel to field operations.
– Primarily office environment with occasional travel to field
– Working after hours, nights, weekends, holidays as needed
– Non-supervisory role, but expected to take leadership roles in projects and provide daily direction to Geo Technician.
Preferred education, experience, certifications, competencies, skills, and abilities:
– Above the minimum requirements; not required but advantageous in this position:
– Professional registration or working towards same.
– Experience in the Central Basin Platform of the Permian Basin of Texas.
– Experience with San Andres depositional environments and a working knowledge of carbonate rocks, their formation and alteration.
– Particular interest in sedimentology and/or sequence stratigraphy.
– Experience in Petra, Paradigm geologic software.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.