|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||March 21, 2017|
|Min. Years Experience Required||5|
Apache Corporation is one of the world's leading independent oil and gas producers. The company has a six-decade record of profitable growth, and is differentiated by its #1 position around the world, entrepreneurial culture and deep operational focus.
The successful candidate will provide in-depth knowledge of play risking methods and tools, project modeling, and economics evaluations. This position will have a key role in the Exploration Evaluation Group in leading assessment of conventional prospects and unconventional resource play characterization methods and software. The engineer will utilize best-in-class forecasting applications and practice(s) in working with Apache’s Regional business units in modeling projects. The Engineer will work proactively with Regional and Corporate groups in achieving greater consistency in project characterizations and economic evaluations. The Engineer will advance the EE Group’s objectives by applying innovative solutions to enhance efficiency and speed in data analyses.
- Assume a key role in conventional prospects and unconventional resource play (UCR) evaluations in supporting Apache’s Regional reservoir engineering and geoscience teams.
- Develop expertise in production surveillance methods in application to liquids-rich tight reservoirs and usage of modern decline-curve analysis methods for forecasting well performance.
- Provide support to Regional engineering and planning groups in project characterizations for incorporation in Apache’s portfolio model (APM).
- Serve as a resource for applying methods and tools to treat risk and uncertainty in project characterizations and evaluations. Apply decision analysis and statistical methods to condition the investment opportunity for proper treatment within the portfolio model.
- Build strong working relationships with Apache’s Regional and Corporate exploration and reservoir engineering teams to facilitate data/information exchange with the EE Group. Mutual trust and confidentiality is essential.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of applications and methods at the center of the EE Group’s core competencies, with the objective of guiding and supporting Apache technologists on using the underlying concepts (treatment of risk, uncertainty, play characterization and modeling).
- Develop expertise in Decision Analysis methods (decision tree structuring, framing of alternatives, expert interviewing,…, etc.), to support project teams in framing the evaluation, identifying alternative pathways, defining the decision-sequence, and recognizing the capital-at-risk for the project.
- Some U.S. domestic and international travel required.
- BSc degree in Petroleum, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering required.
- 5 to 10 years of experience in the oil and gas exploration and production industry with an emphasis in reservoir engineering, planning and budgeting.
- Knowledge of discounted cash flow analysis and project economics modeling is required.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills are required to advance the effectiveness of the position and EE Group as a whole.
- Knowledge in developing software applications in EXCEL, visual basic, R, and SQL scripts.
- Working knowledge of commercial oil and gas economics software (Aries or PEEP) required.
- Proficient in using the Microsoft Office suite of applications (WORD, EXCEL, POWERPOINT, ACCESS).
- Strong knowledge of reservoir engineering practices with an emphasis in production forecasting methods.
- Prior knowledge and proficiency in project modeling with PetroVR is a positive.
- Fluency in English required; spoken and written.