|Date Posted||July 13, 2017|
Chief Geologist in Canada
LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta (CA-AB)
JOB NUMBER: 12941
Reporting to the vice president, exploration and development, you will be the chief authority on geology and our geology workforce in our exploration and production (E&P) business. You will bring your real passion for geology and extensive breadth of sedimentology and stratigraphy experience to contribute your ideas and make valuable contributions to our active drilling, seismic, acquisition, development and exploration opportunities.
- Drive constant improvement in the quality of our geological evaluations and the competency of our geologists
- Advise on exploration strategies as an internal authority on sedimentology and stratigraphy and sit on the exploration leadership team
- Partner with the director, geophysics on geoscience interpretation work processes and guidelines, particularly for hydrocarbon volume assessment and risking
- Develop formal training and career development plans for all geologists in E&P ensuring that we build capability and provide different work experiences across Suncor
- Provide mentorship and provide professional development within your areas of expertise
- Lead and participate in quality assurance reviews of geoscience work
- Facilitate technical meetings or delegate facilitators
- Network and connect with academic and industry contacts on advances in geological understanding and technology and keep informed of the best geological resources available in the market
- Participate in hiring fulltime staff and hire and supervise contract specialists and in-house technical authorities as required
Experience and Education:
- Minimum 20 years of diverse exploration and development geology experience with a minimum 15 years of stratigraphy and sedimentology experience at large, international oil and gas companies
- 15+ years of offshore experience in a variety of basins
- Experience in structural geology, basin modeling, plate reconstructions, static modeling
- Previous technical advising and formal or informal leadership experience is required
- Prior experience in peer review (quality assurance review) teams
- Advanced degree in geology with specialization in sedimentology or stratigraphy, PhD Is preferred
Skills and Knowledge:
- Expert level understanding of sedimentology and stratigraphy
- Curiosity and enthusiasm for geology to share with and inspire other geologists
- Highly skilled at influencing others and challenging technical conclusions and interpretations
- Proven experience creating organizational structure in work flows and processes
- You collaborate with others in order to achieve the best results and deliver the most value
- Terms of employment: Permanent Full Time, salaried, Calgary, Alberta with regular travel to Newfoundland, the UK and Norway
- Salary/Compensation package: Salary range starting from $170,000, negotiable depending on experience, four weeks' vacation, benefit plan, annual incentive programs
- Business information: Suncor Energy Inc.: P.O. Box <phone number removed> th Avenue SW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, T2P 3E3
- Contact information: <web address removed>; Posting#12941, NOC 2113
Go ahead. Expect growth. We want you to have a job you're genuinely excited about - as well as opportunities to learn and challenge yourself or mentor others. Plus, Suncor Energy offers a flexible employee package that can be adjusted to suit the changing needs of your life, including:
- Competitive base salary and compensation programs
- Attractive annual incentive program
- Flexible benefits package
- Rewarding pension and savings plans
Suncor Energy is Canada's energy company - meaning rewarding opportunities for you to apply your knowledge, contribute and grow in a variety of career-building positions. Our business portfolio spans the entire energy sector, from a leadership position in oil sands development, to refining and marketing operations, natural gas, and conventional oil production, internationally and offshore East Coast Canada.
And while we are working to responsibly develop petroleum resources and contribute to the communities where we live and work, we are also developing our renewable energy portfolio, which includes wind power and biofuels.
As part of Suncor's team, you'll contribute to the ongoing success of Canada's largest energy company - one with a solid track record of growth, a focus on safety and sustainability and tremendous potential for the future. And you'll have the opportunity to learn from experts in the industry and build on your skills every day.
Suncor is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Not sure if this particular listing is the right opportunity for you? Please join our Talent Community at <web address removed> and click on Careers, or follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter for the latest job listings and employment news.
Please note that our job postings are typically open for two weeks, so if you are interested and qualified, apply now.
JOB CATEGORY: Engineering