|Location||Houston, United States|
|Date Posted||June 28, 2018|
Be a part of a team developing automation solutions for the drilling industry
Take a leadership role on deployment projects, interface with customers in various stages of the project.
Develop electrical and controls system design solutions based on engineering principles
Provide level 3 technical support to external and internal customers
Responsible for project success as a project leader or as part of a project team
Ensure all relevant safety objectives and legal requirements are observed for all work completed.
Interpret client requirements, identify and address design parameters and engineering problems and ensure solutions are implemented accurately and within budget
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Controls and Automation engineer with the role of designing and developing software for drilling applications based on given requirements and specification. The candidate should have a good understanding of basic machine controls which include induction motor control using AC Drives, MCCs, hydraulic/pneumatics and valve controls.
• Advanced Control software development using LabView for realtime controllers with FPGA support. HMI design and implementation, instrumentation and sensor interface, data logging, and communication interfaces with other industrial processors like PLC's.
• Duties will include generation of Design documentation, Control algorithms, HMI applications, Bill of Materials, Network Architectures, One Line Drawing, Operations manuals.
• Responsible of sustaining current rig applications and debugging / fixing issues that are reported in the field. This could be by answering calls and working with technicians, remotely connecting to rig system and troubleshoot, or by traveling to the rig site and working with rig personnel to fix the issue.
• Project lead on commissioning and rig deployments
• Maintain product safety in all designs
• Perform design prototyping, including field implementing and testing
• Perform basic troubleshooting of communication networks and wiring issues with controllers and other NW components
• Support management on Intellectual property issues.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS
• Bachelor's Degree in Electrical or Controls Engineering from recognized University
• 5 - 10 years of experience in an engineering environment, developing controls and automation software in LabView
• 2 to 5 years of working experience with Matlab, Simulink.
• Plus 5 years of additional experience in controls and automation development in lieu of educational requirement
• Previous experience with controlling heavy rotating equipment using induction motors
• Experience in the drilling industry
• Strong Field Troubleshooting skills
• Effective communication skills both verbal & written, both 1-1 and group situations
• Situational Leadership
• Time management
• NI certification, Certified LabView Architect (CLA)
• Understanding of Hydraulics/Pneumatics, AC drives and controls is a plus(ABB/Converteam/Yaskawa)
• Knowledge of industrial communication protocols, including OPC, MODBUS, Ethernet IP, and Profibus is required.
• Software Design and Development experience
• Ability to read Electrical schematics.
• Understanding of various communication protocols Profibus, Modbus, OPC, ethernetIP, etc
• Strong hands-on hardware troubleshooting and software debugging skills
• Basic knowledge of Cisco switches and configurations
• Project management, presentation skills
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORKING CONDITIONS
• While this position is primarily based in a professional office environment, travel to yards and rigs is essential and required.
• 25% travel is expected
• The position supports drilling rigs that work 24/7 and will routinely require phone availability outside regular work hours